From the moment the clock struck midnight on ‘Y2K’ or the turn of the millennium, the world of cinema started to change. Superhero movies became the movie fodder of choice. Fictional favourites like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings came to the silver screen. And films like Finding Nemo and WALL-E brought Pixar animation into it’s golden age. There’s no doubt the 2000’s had some of the best films on record, all perfect for a quiz, with these 100 of the best 2000s movie trivia questions and answers!
From Barbershop to Bend it like Beckham, test your contestant’s 2000s cinema knowledge in these ten rounds of ten questions, all ideal for delivery in a real-life quiz or, even, on a virtual trivia night on Zoom, Skype or House Party.
And, if they get stuck, throw a picture round or some visual cues in there! Ready to roll? Lights, camera, quiz!
Easy Movie Trivia Questions from the 2000s
It’s always best to start a trivia night with a simple round, just to warm up your friends, family or colleagues participating. So, to kick things off, here are ten great general movie trivia questions that we’d say fall into the easy category:
1. Who plays the Prime Minster in Love Actually?
2. Mjolnir is the name given to which Norse god’s hammer?
3. Who wore a padded bra to play the film version of the 36DD breasted Lara Croft?
4. Three of the top ten grossing movies of the decade from 2000 to 2009 are from which series of films?
5. Which was the top grossing film of the 2000 – 2009 decade, taking in well over twice the second place?
6. In Twilight, which two teams could you be a fan of?
7. On which film set did Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie meet?
8. In the Harry Potter films, what generally happens to the receiver of the Avada Kedavra curse?
9. What links Shaun of the Dead and 28 Days Later?
10. Of which ship is Jack Sparrow the captain?
Read next: Our ultimate fun quiz questions and answers
2000s Easy movie trivia round answers
- Hugh Grant
- Angelina Jolie
- The Harry Potter series.
- Avatar, grossing $2,713,395,000.
- Team Edward or Team Jacob
- Mr and Mrs Smith
- They are killed. It is one of the three Unforgiveable Curses.
- Black Pearl
Did you know? The Pirates of the Caribbean film franchise was initially based on a theme park ride! Opened in Disneyland in 1967, the ride with the same name of the film was overseen by Walt Disney.
Taglines to Famous Movies Trivia Questions and Answers
Too easy for your players? Well let’s test some more obscure movie trivia with the most famous sayings from movies in the 2000s. For all of these, they’ll need to answer the question: From what film would you find this famous tagline?
1. The longer you wait, the harder it gets.
3. A one-night stand that turns into something more.
4. The greatest fairy tale never told.
5. She brought a small town to its feet and a huge corporation to its knees.
6. Twelve is the new eleven.
7. Its power corrupts all who desire it. Only one has the will to resist it. A fellowship of nine must destroy it.
8. The boy who had an answer to every question.
9. Some memories are best forgotten.
10. There are 3.7 trillion fish in the ocean. They’re looking for one.
Taglines to Famous Movies Trivia Answers
- The 40-year-old Virgin
- Knocked Up
- Erin Brockovich
- Ocean’s Twelve
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
- Slumdog Millionaire
- Finding Nemo
Memorable Lines from 2000s Movies Trivia Questions
From taglines to famous phrases! Mix up your trivia rounds with this round of ten questions all about the most quotable quotes from blockbuster films in the 2000s:
1. “Wilson!…I’m sorry, Wilson!” comes from which film?
2. Which actor says “I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don’t have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.”
3. In which film is the following pair of lines? “What makes you think you can just walk in there and find, uh, what we need?” with the reply “They’re called boobs, Ed.”
4. In what film does Javier Bardem ask “What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”
5. In which film does John Nash say “Find a truly original idea. That’s the only way I’ll ever distinguish myself. It’s the only way that I’ll ever…”, to which his colleague adds “matter”?
6. Which character says “Want to know how I got these scars? My father was a drinker and a fiend. And one night, he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn’t like that. Not one bit. So, me watching, he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it. He turns to me, and he says: ‘Why so serious?’ He comes at me with the knife – ‘Why so serious?!’ He sticks the blade in my mouth. ‘Let’s put a smile on that face!’ And why so serious?”
7. From which film does this question and retort come? “Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?” and “Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?”
8. In which film would you hear the following line? “I still believe in paradise. But now at least I know it’s not some place you can look for. Because it’s not where you go. It’s how you feel for a moment in your life when you’re a part of something. And if you find that moment, it lasts forever.”
9. From what film is this pair of lines: “And if they want to drink Merlot, we’re drinking Merlot.” and “No. If anybody orders Merlot, I’m leavin’. I am not drinking any f–kin’ Merlot!”
10. And in which film, would you hear the line “I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once”?
Fancy trying out some sports trivia? Why not try some of our sports quiz questions…
Memorable Lines from 2000s Movies Trivia Answers
- That is Liam Neeson in Taken
- Erin Brockovich
- No Country for Old Men
- A Beautiful Mind
- The Joker in The Dark Knight
- Donnie Darko
- The Beach
Comedies from the 2000s Trivia Questions
Feel like you’ve got some die-hard fans of comedy movies from the 2000s? Let’s put that assumption to the test. From slapstick screeners to more artistic funny films, here are ten comedy movie trivia questions and answers:
1. What are the five D’s of Dodgeball?
2. The Motion Picture Association would not accept the family surname for which film unless the filmmakers could find an actual person with that surname?
3. Which actor plays Frank, who wants to go streaking?
4. The idea for which film came to writer Mike White when he moved into an apartment next to Jack Black and would hear Black’s music (later featured in the film) blasted at full volume?
5. Which two 2007 comedies about unwanted pregnancies were in the American Film Institute’s ten best films of the year?
6. Which Christopher Guest mockumentary gives a behind the scenes view of the world of high-profile dog competition?
7. After making which film did Paul Giamatti confess to not knowing anything about the subject to which his character, Miles, is an expert?
8. To which of his works did Paul Thomas Anderson refer to as “an art house Adam Sandler film”?
9. Which film did Robert Ebert describe as “more or less deliberate attempt to cross the Chick Flick with the Raunchy Comedy. It definitely proves that women are the equal of men in vulgarity, sexual frankness, lust, vulnerability, over drinking and insecurity …”?
10. In researching for which film did Armando Iannucci gain access to the US Department of State by flashing a simple photo ID to a security guard and saying “BBC. I’m here for the 12:30”?
Recommended next quiz: The best history quiz questions and answers
Comedies from the 2000s Trivia Answers
- Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge
- Meet the Parents. Ben Stiller plays Greg Focker.
- Will Ferrell
- School of Rock
- Juno and Knocked Up
- Best in Show
- Punch-Drunk Love
- In the Loop. He spent a few hours walking around taking pictures for his set designers.
2000s Movie Trivia Soundtracks Questions and Answers
It’s not always about the box office performance. In some (albeit slightly rare) cases, it’s the movie music that makes the headlines, and scoops up the awards. Let’s see how much your trivia players know about movie soundtracks. And, if you think it’s very little, cue up the songs in question on Spotify and play them for your puzzled participants!
1. Which Coen brother’s film’s soundtrack went eight times platinum, sold more than eight million copies, and won not just Best Compilation Soundtrack but also Album of the Year at the 2002 Grammys?
2. Sixty six (real) music artists (and a bunch of fake ones) are named throughout which John Cusack film?
3. Which film included Rabbit singing the first song of its kind to win an Oscar for Best Original Song?
4. Radiohead’s Jonny Greenwood wrote the wonderfully desolate, orchestral score to which Best Picture nominated movie?
5. Which prolific composer wrote the music for a wide array of 2000’s films including Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Hannibal, Madagascar and The Simpsons Movie?
6. What is the name of Japanese female rock trio who perform in Kill Bill Volume 1?
7. Howard Shore wrote over ten hours of music for which set of films?
8. Which American singer performed the title song for Die Another Day?
9. Joy Division dominated which film about the Manchester music scene?
10. ‘Boy’ links which 2002 film title and (the stage name of) which indie singer song writer who performed the soundtrack?
Need more movie trivia questions? Here are some easy movie trivia questions.
2000s Movie Trivia Soundtracks Answers
- Brother, Where Art Thou?
- High Fidelity. Examples of the made-up artists are Liquorice Comfit, Marie De Salle, and The Kinky Wizards
- 8 Mile
- There Will be Blood
- Hans Zimmer
- The 220.127.116.11’s
- The Lord of the Rings trilogy
- Madonna. The song was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song, as well as a Golden Raspberry Award (Razzie) for Worst Original Song.
- 24 Hour Party People
- About a Boy and Badly Drawn Boy
No way!! Brad Pitt turned down Hugh Grant’s role in About A Boy, on the basis that it was implausible that such a good-looking man would need to pose as being a single father in order to attract women. However, Pitt still makes an appearance in the film on the front cover of a magazine that Hugh Grant’s character reads.
Name the Noughties Movie Trivia Questions and Answers
We’d consider this a more ‘cryptic’ round, as you give your quizzers a clue about the film, and get them to hazard their best guess. So, without further ado, which film is described in…
1. Which animation revolves around an invention that leads to a rather unusual form of precipitation?
2. In 1987, James Brennan reluctantly takes a job working as an underpaid theme park employee and finds an unexpected camaraderie with his new co-worker Em.
3. Which film involves a Best Kept Village competition being taken all too seriously?
4. In which film is it said the world will end in 28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, 12 seconds?
5. Being unusual for Hollywood in that only about thirty percent of the dialogue is in English, which film provides a darkly humorous and violent alternative version of WWII?
6. Storylines about the character played by Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle and Matt Dillon (amongst others) interweave through narratives of race, loss and redemption in which film?
7. In which film does the mob plant a mole in the police department while the police department plants a mole in the mob?
8. Two magicians are obsessed with beating each other in which psychological thriller?
9. Which of his films did Darren Aronofsky describe as “In a lot of ways, we looked at [it] as a monster movie. The creature was invisible; it lived in their heads. Addiction.”?
10. In which movie do a couple decide to erase their memories of each other when their relationship goes sour?
Want more questions? How about a round of Disney Trivia Questions with our ultimate 100 Disney Film Quiz Questions and Answers?
Name the Noughties Movie Trivia Answers
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
- Adventureland. Jessie Eisenberg plays James and Kristin Stewart plays Em.
- Hot Fuzz. When Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg went to Brixton Police Station hoping to get some anecdotes from serving officers, even offering to take them to the pub, every officer refused to speak to them. The liaison officer had wrongly told the officers that Mr. Wright and Mr. Pegg were journalists.
- Donnie Darko
- Inglourious Basterds
- The Departed
- The Prestige
- Requiem for a Dream
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Interesting Fact: The opening credits of Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind appear 18 minutes into the film.
Academy Award Winning Movie Trivia Questions from the 2000s
You can’t run a trivia night of 2000s movie trivia questions and answers without paying homage to the pinnacle of filmmaking: the Oscars! Here’s a cracking round all dedicated to the films scooping up golden accolades at the Academy Awards in the 2000s:
1. In 2001, which film was the first musical to be nominated for Best Picture for a decade?!
2. Which 2009 Best Picture winner, for location purposes, had two directors, one of whom won Best Director?
3. Who won best actress singing opposite Joaquin Phoenix?
4. Which Best Picture winner was based on a Broadway musical which was based on a book which was based on a play which was based on a real-life story?
5. What was notable about Adrien Brody winning Best Actor, for his role in The Pianist?
6. Who in 2004 won an Oscar for playing another Oscar winner?
7. Who became the second actor to win an Academy Award posthumously?
8. Who, for her 2009 film, was the first woman to win Best Director (in 2010)?
9. Which film joined Ben Hur and Titanic in receiving a record eleven Oscars?
10. Which Oscar winning best actress was praised for her performance by the person she was playing and invited over for a presumably grand dinner?
Think you or your mates know their music trivia? Why not test yourself or them with these awesome music trivia questions.
Academy Awards from the 2000s Movie Trivia Answers
- Moulin Rouge
- Slumdog Millionaire. Danny Boyle won Best Director, but, Loveleen Tandan was credited as co-director to give the film a “broader cultural compass”.
- Reese Witherspoon, in Walk the Line
- At 29, he became the youngest actor to win the award.
- Cate Blanchett, for playing Katherine Hepburn in Scorsese’s The Aviator. Hepburn won four Best Actress awards.
- Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight. Peter Finch also won an award for Network in 1976 after his death.
- Kathryn Bigelow, for The Hurt Locker
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
- Helen Mirren was lauded by Queen Elizabeth II, and invited for dinner at Buckingham Palace. She had to decline the invitation due to filming commitments.
Star Wars Movie Trivia Questions
As Obi-Wan Kenobi says, “In my experience, there is no such think as luck.” And that definitely stands true in this round, since your contestants will definitely need to know their Baby Yoda from their Babu Frik!
1. How many lightsabres could General Grievous wield at once?
2. On which planet does Anakin Skywalker turn into Darth Vader?
3. Which character was played by Christopher Lee?
4. What is the Sith name for Emperor Palpatine?
5. In the film who built C-3PO?
6. Which ‘West Wing’ actor played Bail Organa, who adopts Leia at the end of Episode III?
7. What type of species is Jar Jar Binks?
8. Who kills Liam Neeson?
9. Who directed the three prequals?
10. Which of the three prequals has the highest rating on Rotten Tomatoes?
Did you know that Star Wars is owned by Disney? Find more great Disney questions in this list of 100 Disney quiz questions and answers!
Star Wars Movie Trivia Answers
- Four, one for each of his huge metal arms
- Count Dooku
- Darth Sidious
- Jimmy Smits
- Darth Maul kills Qui-Gon Jinn, before being killed by Obi-Wan.
- George Lucas
- Revenge of the Sith (then Attack of the Clones, then The Phantom Menace)
What links these films from the 2000s Quiz Questions and Answers
And just like that, you’re moving into the penultimate round of this 2000s movie trivia night. It’s time to ‘match the movie star’ by asking your contestants which actress or actor links the films…
1. Who was in Two Weeks’ Notice, The Proposal and The Blind Side?
2. Which person links Chicago and Shall We Dance?
3. Who was in The Producers, Diminished Capacity and Deck the Halls?
4. Which person links Juno, The Kingdom and Valentine’s Day?
5. Who was in The Day After Tomorrow, The Alamo and G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra?
6. Which person was in The Perfect Catch, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and Donnie Darko?
7. Who was in It’s Complicated, The Good Shepherd, and The Aviator?
8. Which person links Mamma Mia!, Jennifer’s Body and Mean Girls?
9. Who was in the Time Traveller’s Wife, State of Play and Wedding Crashers?
10. Which person was in Miss Potter, Cinderella Man and Cold Mountain?
Next Trivia Round: Here are some Science Quiz Questions.
What links these films from the 2000s Quiz Answers
- Sandra Bullock
- Richard Gere
- Matthew Broderick
- Jennifer Garner
- Dennis Quad
- Drew Barrymore
- Alec Baldwin
- Amanda Seyfried
- Rachel McAdams
- Renée Zellweger
More Movie Trivia Questions and Answers from the 2000s
With the credits about to roll, end your 2000s quiz night on a high with even more head-scratching quiz questions about notable films in the noughties. Here’s our final round of ten movie trivia questions 2000s!
1. In 2014, the BBC asked 177 critics to list the best films of the century. Which David Lynch film came top?
2. In 2002, Halle Berry became the first black woman to win an Academy Award Best Actress – for which film?
3. Russell Crowe declined the role of which character in the Lord of the Rings trilogy?
4. Who directed 2009 film adapted from a Roald Dahl book?
5. Why was Phillipe Petit given a lifetime pass to the Twin Towers Observation Deck in New York?
6. In what film does Tina Fey play a maths teacher?
7. For which Spanish language film did Guilermo del Toro give up his salary to ensure it could be made to the standard he desired?
8. Which film’s protagonist, who helps the new kid run for class president, shares a name with a historical military leader?
9. In 2013, Will Ferrell turned down $29 million to make a sequel to which 2003 hit?
10. Which Avengers character was the first to have their own film under Marvel Studios?
Why not try out this Entertainment Trivia Quiz?
More 2000s Movie Trivia Answers
- Mulholland Drive
- Monster’s Ball
- Aaragorn, which was played by Viggo Mortensen
- Wes Anderson directed Fantastic Mr Fox
- He made a tightrope walk between the two, as documented in Man on Wire.
- Mean Girls
- Pan’s Labyrinth. The film received 22 minutes of applause at the Cannes Film Festival.
- Napoleon Dynamite
- Iron Man
Good money if you can get it… Paul Bettany, who voices J.A.R.V.I.S., had apparently never seen the film and said the role was the easiest job he’s ever had – getting a sizeable fee for just two hours work.
So, how did they do? Did anyone post a box office winning tally? Or is someone up for that dreaded Raspberry award? Whether your participants knew their Tom Hanks from their Twilight,
we hope they’ve enjoyed this quiz and all the questions about the leading films in the limelight of the 2000s.
Did we miss any key questions? Anything change or wrong in what we’ve put together? Do let us know what you think by dropping us a comment below or get in touch!
Want to save this for later? Why not pin it…