Did you know that a garden snail can sleep for three years? And that its distant relative, the slug, has four noses? Even if these little trivia titbits don’t tickle your fancy, it’s these kinds of obscure facts that make for a perfect animal kingdom quiz. So, to help you deliver just that, we’ve gone ahead and put together what we think are the best 100 animal quiz questions and answers that you can find anywhere on the internet!
It covers everything from the fastest mammals in the world, to the fastest sea creature and heaps of great facts and funny animal questions in between. Now we’ve delivered this as ten rounds of ten questions, all ranging from easy to difficult. We’d suggest you mix and match according to your audience, and spice it up with images for Picture Rounds, perfect for use with family, friends and colleagues on platforms like Zoom, House Party or even Skype.
Ready to get quizzing? As a Jersey Cow would say, let’s get moooo-ving!
Easy Animal Quiz Questions and Answers
We don’t know your audience but it might be worth kicking off with an easy animal quiz round, with a few questions you might even find in animal trivia for kids! No matter their age, try this general knowledge round with some easy answers:
1. In what mountain range would you find the snow leopard?
2. Often referred to as the largest living organism, what is the common name for the area off the coast of Australia?
3. What is the largest lizard in the world?
4. Name the largest land mammal that currently inhabits the planet.
5. Mus musculus is the Latin name for what common animal?
6. What kind of animal is a doe?
7. On what continent would you find the only giraffes in the wild?
8. What is the only animal to sleep on its back?
9.What flightless bird is the emblem of New Zealand?
10. True or false? Crocodiles have roamed the earth for around 200 million years.
Easy Animal Quiz Round Answers
- The Himalayas
- The Great Barrier Reef
- Komodo Dragon
- African Elephant
- The common house mouse
What Animal Am I Quiz Questions and Answers
Let’s get them to attempt a Name That Animal Quiz! We’ve curated a list of ten questions all made out of clues, to see if they can guess the animal in question!
1. I have stripes and belong to the genus Equus, what animal am I?
2. A popular household pet, with around 75 million of us in the US alone, what animal am I?
3. The larval stage of amphibians, able to grow into frogs and salamanders, what am I?
4. The national emblem of South Africa and often quoted as the second fastest land animal, what animal am I?
5. Now extinct but originally found on Mauritius, what animal am I?
6. Made globally famous by the SEGA video game Sonic, what animal am I?
7. Originally domesticated by the Incas more than 3,000 years ago, but now a household pet, what animal am I?
8. My name can be roughly translated from ancient Greek to mean river horse, what animal am I?
9. A predator by nature, and the national emblem of the United States of America, what animal am I?
10. Living mainly in trees, and apparently the slowest animal on the planet, I can take up to 2 weeks to digest my food. What animal am I?
Need more questions? Check out The best travel trivia questions and answers
What Animal Am I Quiz Answers
- A tadpole
- A guinea pig
- A bald eagle
Farm Animal Trivia Questions and Answers
From cows to chicken, we hope most of your contestants have been on a farm, if only a petting zoo once in their life. That experience better stand them in good stead, since this round is solely focussed on a quiz about animals you’d find on a farm.
1. What animal has breeds including Jersey, Texas Longhorn and Belgian Blue?
2. What kind of animal is the main character in the book titled Babe by Dick King-Smith?
3. What hardworking type of animal in George Orwell’s Animal Farm is Boxer?
4. What farm animal shares its name with a country that is often said to border both Europe and Asia?
5. Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are often called the greatest of all time – but what farm animal connects them?
6. Belonging to the Camelidae family, which also includes camels, which animal has two breeds – Huacaya and the Suri?
7. What is the farm animal that becomes the best friend of Shrek?
8. With breeds that include Zwartbles, Corriedale and Merino, what is the name of this farm animal?
9. Out for a score of zero in cricket is also known as what farm animal?
10. Which farm animal was originally domesticated in Southern China around 6,000 BC?
Need another round? Why not try our Best South East Asia quiz questions and answers?
Farm Animal Trivia Answers
- A pig
- Goat (Greatest Of All Time)
Fun Fact: The colour of the egg that a chicken lays, depends on the colour of its earlobes… how strange is that?! Red ear-lobed chickens lay brown eggs, while white ear-lobed lay white!
Funny Animal Quiz Questions and Answers
Animals can be a little strange. Like bats that only turn left out of a cave, or the fact that poor kangaroos can’t fart. To get a few giggles out of your participants, we’ve included 10 more unusual, funny quiz questions for them to try:
1. It is estimated that 3% of the glaciers in Antarctica are made up of the urine of which animal?
2. What type of bear has a bite that is said to be strong enough to break a bowling ball?
3. What animal is the closest living relative to the T-Rex?
4. What is the collective name for a group of owls?
5. Which cute little marine creature hold hands with their friends to keep themselves from drifting apart while sleeping?
6. In 1986 what type of animal, named Clay Henry, was surprisingly elected mayor of Lajitas in Texas?
7. In which country do macaques use coins in vending machines to buy snacks?
8. What animal’s poop is generally cube shaped?
9. What colour is hippo sweat?
10. Which country do French Poodles come from?
Recommended: Our favourite fun quiz questions
Funny Animal Quiz Answers
- Sea otters
- A goat
Fun Fact: Apparently, the humble Poodle can be traced back to medieval Germany, where they were originally bred as duck hunting dogs. And if you knew some German, then you may have been able to work out that their name comes from the German, Pudel, meaning puddle. They then became popular in France, and the French Poodle name stuck…
Cats and Dogs Quiz Questions and Answers
Everyone loves a smattering of dog trivia questions right? Whether you’re a committed cat person, or a declared dog lover, everyone loves our furry friends. For the crazy cat (and dog) people among us, we’ve delivered ten awesome questions about pets for this round:
1. Grumpy Cat, made famous by the internet meme, was how old when she passed away?
2. What was the name of Mickey Mouse’s dog?
3. What was the name of the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia?
4. What is the name of The Simpsons’ dog?
5. In the comic strip by Jim Davis what is the name of the animal owned by Jon Arbuckle?
6. In the Disney and Pixar film Toy Story, there is a toy that is also a dog. What’s his name?
7. Growing up, which Beatle had a cat called Elvis?
8. The world record for the oldest living dog, is held by a dog named Bluey – but how old was the record-setting woof when he passed?
9. What type of dog was Lassie?
10. Related to a famous reading device, what is the name of a group of kittens?
We think you’ll like: 100 science quiz questions and answers
Cats and Dogs Quiz Round Answers
- 7 years old
- Santa’s Little Helper
- John Lennon
- 29 years old
- Collie (or Rough Collie)
General Knowledge Animal Quiz Questions and Answers
Have some of the previous rounds been tough for your contestants? Let’s sprinkle in some more easy trivia questions about animals, before we get into the difficult territory!
1. Famous for being cuddly but not great at breeding, what animal is best seen in Chengdu China?
2. What animals are known as the Big 5 in Africa?
3. What is the only mammal that can fly?
4. In which island nation would you come across the Lemur?
5. What is the largest member of the cat family (not an interbred species)?
6. Zoophobia is the fear of what?
7. What bird beats its wings between 60 and 80 times per second?
8. Where would you find a polar bear – Arctic or Antarctica?
9. What is a rhino’s horn made out of?
10. True or false? Sharks have been around longer than dinosaurs?
Some more great questions: List of great entertainment and music quiz questions and answers
General Knowledge Animal Quiz Answers
- Giant Panda
- Lion, Elephant, Rhino, Buffalo and Leopard
How insane is this? Sharks have been in the seas for at least 420 million years. That makes them older than Mount Everest, dinosaurs and even trees!
Hard Animal Trivia Questions and Answers
Everyone doing a little too well for your liking? Toss in this round of fiendishly hard animal trivia questions to see how they fare!
1. There are only 2 egg laying mammals in the world, name them.
2. Which animal is protected by law in Rome?
3. What is the scientific name given to apes?
4. What is the name of the common breed of cat that has no hair?
5. How long can a snail sleep for?
6. Which animal has fingerprints that are so similar to humans, that they have been confused during a crime scene investigation?
7. Name the 4 mammals that apparently can’t jump?
8. There is only one species of warm-blooded fish on earth – what is its name?
9. What type of animal is a mandrill?
10. What is the national animal of Scotland?
Hard Animal Trivia Round Answers
- Platypus and Echidna
- Sphynx (but also accept Bambino, Donskoy, Peterbald, Ukrainian Levkoy, Elf or Dwelf)
- 3 years
- Elephant, hippos, rhinos and sloths
Interesting Fact: Strangely no one really knows exactly why this became the national animal of Scotland, however the Unicorn played an important role in Celtic mythology. The animal was a symbol of purity, innocence and power.
Flying Animal Quiz Questions and Answers
Let’s take to the skies for this round of ten awesome animal trivia questions, all focussed on our flying friends. It will definitely test their knowledge of all things airborne.
1. With a maximum speed of over 240 mph, what is the fastest bird?
2. How many wings does a mosquito have?
3. What animal has a wingspan of around 10ft, can live to the ripe old age of 20 and are protected by the Queen of England?
4. What is the collective name given to a group of crows?
5. Pegasus was a flying type of which animal?
6. Appearing on the national coat of arms of Bolivia, Peru, Chile, Ecuador and Colombia, what is the common name for the vultur gryphus?
7. With the endearing name, the flying fox, what type of animal is it?
8. What bird is mythically said to deliver babies?
9. What is the specific name for the largest flying bird (by wingspan) on the planet?
10. What is the collective name for a group of butterflies? (Clue: it’s also slang for having a bet)
Want more questions? 100 great food trivia questions and answers
Flying Animal Quiz Answers
- Peregrine Falcon
- A murder
- Andean Condor
- Wandering Albatross
- A flutter
All Creatures Great and Small Quiz Questions and Answers
While many think that the cheetah is the fastest animal in the world, the speedy honours actually go to the Peregrine Falcon, with a max speed of nearly 400 km/h (250 mph). Think your participants know a bit about these kinds of extreme facts? Test their knowledge with these ten questions about the smallest, largest and fastest animals in the world.
1. What is the smallest mammal in the world?
2. Which land mammal, native to central and south America, has a tongue that stretches to two feet in length?
3. What is the largest bird in the world?
4. What is the smallest bird in the world?
5. What animal is known for the great migration across the African plains?
6. Famous for being part of the biblical plagues, and infamous for stripping crops in vast swarms, what insect belongs to the family Acrididae?
7. What is the largest mammal in the world?
8. In which country would you find the largest meeting of elephants in the world, known as The Gathering?
9. Name the largest primate on the planet.
10. Which marine animal has the largest brain?
Want to try your hand at the world’s largest cities next? Check out our Capital Cities Quiz!
All Creatures Great and Small Quiz Answers
- Bumblebee bat
- Bee Hummingbird
- The blue whale
- Sri Lanka
- Sperm whale
Interesting Fact: The sperm whale brain can weigh up to 8 kg (18 lb), that’s over 5 times heavier than a human…
Underwater Animal Trivia Questions and Answers
From the earlier round of the skies to the murky marine depths of the sea, this round is focussed entirely on sea creatures down below.
1. How many legs does a lobster have?
2. Able to hold its breath for more than 2 hours, the Curvier Beaked is a type of what?
3. How many hearts does an octopus have?
4. In which river would you find the blind dolphin?
5. Where would you find the heart of a shrimp?
6. What type of fish is the fastest in the ocean, having been clocked at speeds of 68mph?
7. What is the smallest fish in the world?
8. How many arms does a giant squid have?
9. What type of fish is Nemo?
10. What is the biggest fish in the world?
Underwater Animal Trivia Round Answers
- In its head
- Dwarf Pigmy Goby
- 10 (8 arms and 2 tentacles but those are also arms)
- Clown fish
- Whale shark
We hope your contestants loved your animals quiz and have walked away either with 100 points or at least with some cracking new facts about the animal kingdom.
Did we miss any key questions off the list? Please do get in touch or just drop a note in the comments below!
Want to save this for later? Why not pin it…