From China to Chile, Namibia to The Netherlands, if you’re looking to run an epic geography pub quiz, you’ve landed in the right place. Whether you’re running a real-life quiz or a virtual trivia night on Zoom, House Party or Skype, we’ve curated 100 of the best geography quiz questions and answers.
Delivered in ten rounds of ten, we’ve got everything from simple headscratchers to slightly tricky geography quiz questions, and everything in between. And, if you really need to make the quiz easier for your friends, family or colleagues, consider making a round (or two) a Picture Round – just do a search of Google or Getty Images to get your quizzing kicks.
Ready to get your geography general knowledge quiz started? Let’s go!
Travel and Geography Quiz Questions and Answers
Get your quiz night off to an easy start with some more general travel-related
1. You have to cross the famously dangerous Darién Gap to cross between which two countries?
2. What runs from Chicago to Santa Monica?
3. If you are sailing in the Whitsundays, you are off the coast of which country?
4. Which service began in 1883, running between Paris and Constantinople (Istanbul)?
5. If you travelled down the Mekong river to Luang Prabang, which country would you be in?
6. In the film The Motorcycle Diaries, who travels around Latin America on a motorbike?
7. In which country could you ride the Blue Train and hike the Otter Trail?
8. Where could you take in the scenery of the Bergen line?
9. If you crossed the Khyber Pass, you would be traversing between which two countries?
10. Part of a famous migrant route heading North from Central America, what form of transport is “La Bestia” (The Beast)?
Read next: The best general knowledge pub quiz questions and answers
Travel and Geography Quiz Answers
- Panama and Columbia
- Route 66
- The Orient Express
- Che Guevara (and Alberto Granado)
- South Africa
- Pakistan and Afghanistan
- A train
Interesting fact: Also known as “El tren de la muerte” (The train of death) because of the dangers involved in riding it, up to half a million migrants each year climb onto the roof in an attempt to reach the USA.
US Geography Quiz Questions
The good ‘ol US of A is always great quizzing fodder, with many a great trivia fact perfect for a geography quiz night. Test your participants’ mettle with these ten cracking questions about American geography:
1. What stretches 3,000 miles from British Columbia in Canada to New Mexico?
2. Which river rises in Western Wyoming and winds over 1,000 miles before emptying into the Columbia river at Tri-cities, Washington?
3. Which of the Great Lakes is the smallest?
4. What is the highest peak in the USA?
5. Which city is located where the Mississippi meets the Missouri?
6. Where in Florida is the Southernmost Point buoy located, denoting the lowest latitude land in continental USA?
7. Covering 190,000 square miles, what is the largest desert in the USA?
8. Which state is bordered by Arkansas to the South and Iowa to the North?
9. Lake Okeechobee is found in which state?
10. In which mountains would you find Camp David?
US Geography Quiz Round Answers
- The Rocky Mountains
- Snake River
- Lake Ontario
- Denali (Mount McKinley)
- St Louis
- Key West
- Great Basin Desert
Map Trivia Questions
Do they know their borders from their beaches? In this round of ten great world geography quiz questions and answers, we focus on map-related trivia:
1. What stretch of water can be found between Alaska and Kamchatka?
2. Which is the largest state of Australia by area?
3. The equator passes through which three South American countries?
4. Which is the largest African country by area?
5. Which country has the longest total coastline in the world?
6. What is the largest island in the Mediterranean by both area and population?
7. Which southern tip of which continent is closest to Antarctica?
8. Which is the only African country to share a land border with another continent?
9. Which is the largest landlocked country in the world by area?
10. Which enormous but scantily inhabited island lies to the North West of Iceland?
Next round for your quiz… The best sports quiz questions and answers
Map Trivia Round Answers
- The Bering Strait
- Western Australia
- Ecuador, Columbia, Brazil
Did you know? According to the sagas, Eric the Red was exiled from Iceland for murder and sailed to Greenland. It is even more rugged and inhospitable than Iceland but he thought that the name “Greenland” would encourage more Vikings to settle there.
Country Quiz Questions and Answers
From the world’s smallest country to the largest country, test your contestants’ knowledge of the globe’s numerous nations with these ten great geography questions and answers:
1. Which country is completely surrounded by South Africa?
2. In which country would you find the region of Inner Mongolia?
3. The Baltic States refers to Lithuania, Latvia and which other country?
4. In which country would you find the ruins of Chichen Itza and Palenque?
5. In which country would you find Sihanoukville, Battambang and Siam Reap?
6. Which sub-Saharan country whose capital is Juba gained its independence in 2011?
7. Which country’s only land borders are with Israel and Syria?
8. The islands of Mindanao, Luzón and Visayas are part of which country?
9. The districts of Famagusta and Nicosia are in which Mediterranean Island Country?
10. If you headed due North from Dubai across the Persian Gulf, which country would you land in?
More great questions: 100 epic music quiz questions and answers
Country Trivia Round Answers
- South Sudan
- The Philippines
Capital Cities Questions and Answers
Think your contestants will fare well on a round of capital cities questions? We’ve scoured the globe to present these ten easy geography quiz questions related to country capitals:
1. Which South American country has its capital at Ascensión?
2. Canberra is the capital city of where?
3. Ouagadougou might be the most fun capital city to say. Where is it?
4. Antananarivo is also a fun word to say, as is the country it is in. Where is it the capital of?
5. Of which European country is Bucharest the capital?
6. Which Pacific Island nation has Suva as its capital?
7. Where in the Caribbean would you find the capital city St. John’s?
8. Vientiane is the capital city of which Asian country?
9. Dili is the capital city of which former Portuguese colony?
10. Ankara is not the biggest city, but it is the capital of where?
Looking for more capital cities questions? We have 100 more questions just on capital cities right here.
Capital Cities Round Answers
- Burkina Faso
- East Timor / Timor Leste
US State Capitals Questions
Take ‘em back to the Land of the Brave, with another compelling round of hard geography questions relating to capital cities, this time in the United States of America.
1. Which state capital shares its name with a mythical bird?
2. Which state capital has the same name as a world-famous golf course in Georgia?
3. Which state capital shares its name with both a bicycle manufacturer and a British explorer from Elizabethan times?
4. Which state capital is named after the explorer who is credited with discovering the continent?
5. Which state capital translates from French as “of the monks”?
6. Which state capital is named after the 16th US President?
7. Which state capital is named after one of the indigenous peoples from the Great Plains?
8. Which state capital shares its name with Mr. Burns from The Simpsons?
9. Which state capital shares its name with a port town in Kent, England?
10. Which state capital was named after Andrew but shares its name with Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon and Michael?
We think you’d like: 100 travel quiz questions and answers
US State Capitals Rounds Answers
- Phoenix, Arizona
- Augusta, Maine
- Raleigh, North Carolina
- Columbus, Ohio
- Des Moines, Iowa
- Lincoln, Nebraska
- Cheyenne, Wyoming
- Montgomery, Alabama
- Dover, Delaware
- Jackson, Mississippi
International Airports Geography Quiz Questions
So your quizzers have gotten this far into your pub quiz, so why not take them airborne? Let’s see if they know their Charles de Gaulle from their Changi, with this slightly difficult round of 10 geography quiz questions all about airports!
1. If you landed at Jomo Kenyatta Airport, which city would you be heading to?
2. Which enormous international airport serves Amsterdam in the Netherlands?
3. Which country is served by airports with the IATA codes ISB, KHI and LHE?
4. Which Caribbean island’s international airports are identified by the codes KIN and MBJ?
5. Which European capital city’s main airport is called Barajas?
6. In which city would you be landing if you flew into Indira Ghandi airport?
7. Which city is served by airports with the codes ORY and CDG?
8. Pearson International is the largest and busiest airport in which country?
9. The airport on the island of Madeira is named after a sportsperson. Who?
10. Which Asian country is served by airports with the IATA codes SGN and HAN?
International Airports Geography Quiz Answers
- New Delhi
- Cristiano Ronaldo
Mountain Geography Trivia Questions and Answers
We’re pretty big nature lovers and avid hikers, so mountains are definitely our jam. So while it was easy for us to put together these ten questions about the globe’s most famous peaks, we’ll bet it won’t be as simple for your quizzers to complete!
1. Name two of the Presidents carved into Mount Rushmore.
2. In which mountain range would you find the Matterhorn?
3. Mount Everest can be approached from which two countries?
4. The summit of Mount Chimborazo is the furthest point from the centre of the Earth. Where is it?
5. Which is the highest mountain in Africa?
6. Which mountain range separates France and Spain?
7. In which country would you find The Southern Alps?
8. Which small Pacific island is dominated by the massive volcano Piton des Neiges?
9. Where would you find Mauna Kea, the highest dormant volcano in the world?
10. What was the most glaring error about the 1968 disaster movie Krakatoa, East of Java?
- Washington / Jefferson / Roosevelt / Lincoln
- The Alps
- Nepal and China
- The Pyrenees
- New Zealand
- Krakatoa is West of Java
Interesting fact: Based on Krakatoa’s enormous 1883 eruption, the producers thought that “East” sounded more evocative and reminiscent of Asia. In the film it also appears to take three days to reach Krakatoa from Java, although the distance is only about 30 miles.
British Geography Quiz Questions and Answers
Have you had your fill of US geography quiz questions? Let’s move to one of the other famous Uniteds… the United Kingdom or Great Britain, in this penultimate round. Try these ten great geography questions on for size:
1. What sort of geographical feature is Wookey Hole famous for?
2. Which is the highest peak in the UK?
3. What sort of feature is a tarn, as found in Malham in the Yorkshire Dales?
4. What name is given to the lakes and navigable rivers that make up England’s most easterly National Park?
5. How are the 40,000 basalt columns on the north coast of Northern Ireland known?
6. In which county is the source of the river Thames?
7. There is only one British river longer than the Thames. What is it?
8. Which Emperor built a fortification to protect against the Scots, much of which still stands in Northumberland?
9. Which National Park spanning Hampshire and Wiltshire is home to wild ponies?
10. Occasionally subject to frozen precipitation, what is the tallest mountain in Wales?
Related articles: More science and nature quiz questions
British Geography Quiz Answers
- Ben Nevis
- A (glacial) lake
- The Broads
- Giant’s Causeway
- The Severn
- The New Forest
Rivers, Lakes, Seas and Oceans Quiz Questions and Answers
And, just like that, you’ve reached the end of this epic geography quiz. Last up? A deep dive (sorry for the pun) into the world’s waters, in these ten awesome quiz questions about rivers, lakes and the seas.
1. Which ocean is the world’s most northerly?
2. What do the Caspian Sea, the Dead Sea, the Aral Sea and the Sea of Galilee have in common?
3. The Bay of Bengal is part of which ocean?
4. The Tasman Sea separates which two countries?
5. Which is the longest river in the world?
6. Which river might you traverse in order to pass from Mexico into the USA?
7. What is the most famous feature of the river that stretches from Lake Ontario to Lake Eerie?
8. Which area of sea is bordered to the North by Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida?
9. Which river flows 1,680 miles from the Himalayas to the coast of Bangladesh?
10. In which ocean would you find Pitcairn and Tahiti?
Recommended Reading: All the ultimate arts and literature quiz questions
Rivers, Lakes, Seas and Oceans Geography Quiz Round Answers
- The Arctic Ocean
- They are all actually lakes
- The Indian Ocean
- Australia and New Zealand
- The Nile
- The Rio Grande
- Niagara Falls
- The Gulf of Mexico
- The Ganges
- The (South) Pacific
Interesting Fact: After the famous mutiny, Fletcher Christian and other complicit sailors from HMS Bounty hid on the unpopulated Pitcairn. All the islanders are descended from the mutineers and their Tahitian wives and captives!
So, what did you think of our Geography Quiz Questions and Answers piece? Did we deliver 100 of the best?
Let us know what you think in the comments below, or drop us a line if you think we’ve missed any great fiendish questions off this list!
Want to save this for later? Why not pin it…