Know your Hermione from your Hogwarts? Your apparition from our auror? Well then you’ve undoubtedly landed on the most magical quiz around. We’ve conjured up this absolutely epic rundown of 100 Harry Potter trivia questions and answers, perfect for the quiz-hungry Muggles (and Mudbloods!) in your life.
Whether you’re hosting a real-life quiz or a virtual one held on Zoom, House Party or even MS Teams, we’ve got eight spellbinding rounds of Harry Potter questions to have even the biggest fans of the books and film series scratching their slightly bewitched heads.
Ready to go? 3, 2, expecto patronum!
Easy Harry Potter Trivia Questions and Answers
It’s time to kick off your quiz night, and almost ‘apparition’ yourself into the virtual land of Harry and his fascinating friends. In this, the first round of ten Harry Potter trivia fare, we go easy on the enchantment, with these ten simple quiz questions.
1. What is the name of the house elf that Harry befriends?
2. What is Harry’s position in the Gryffindor Quidditch team?
3. Who is Harry Potter’s godfather?
4. What mode of transport do Harry and Ron use to get to Hogwarts at the beginning of their second year?
5. What name is given to the phantoms that guard Azkaban?
6. Who is the Half-Blood Prince?
7. Who introduces Harry to Tom Riddle’s diary?
8. For which teaching post at Hogwarts School must they need to advertise year after year?
9. Who can see through the back of his own head?
10. What is the name of Hagrid’s three headed dog?
Easy Harry Potter Trivia Answers
- Sirius Black
- A flying car
- Severus Snape
- Moaning Myrtle
- The teacher for Defence Against the Dark Arts
- Alastor ‘Mad-Eye’ Moody
No way! Alastor’s magical electric-blue eye gives him 360 degree vision and the ability to look through invisibility cloaks and closed doors.
Spells in Harry Potter Trivia Questions and Answers
How much do your sorcerous participants know about spells? Or has someone cast the ‘Obliviate’ charm on them? (That’s the one that makes the subject forget J). Regardless of their wizardly know-how, let’s see how you (and your quizzers) do in this round dedicated to the spells chronicled in Harry Potter.
1. What is the first charm taught to Harry’s first year class?
2. What spell is used to summon an object?
3. When Hogwarts was under threat, Professor McGonagall used the spell Piertotum Locomotor to do what?
4. Which spell protects from Dementors?
5. Early in the first film, Hermione Granger uses the spell Oculus Reparo to do what?
6. What does the spell Alohomora do?
7. An MTV website article ranks the spells we see in order of usefulness. Ranked second, mainly for fun, was the Glisseo incantation, which does what to a staircase?
8. What does the Legilimens spell allow the user to do to whom the incantation is made?
9. Suitably, what spell would you use when preparing to go on holiday?
10. What are the three Unforgivable Curses?
Want more questions? 100 easy general knowledge quiz questions and answers
Spells in Harry Potter Trivia Answers
- Wingardium Leviosa
- To animate the statues and suits of armour to defend the school
- Expecto Patronum
- Mend Harry’s glasses
- Open doors
- Turns it into a slide
- Read their mind. In Latin, ‘legere’ means ‘to read’ and ‘mens’ means ‘mind’.
- Avada Kedavra, Crucio, and Imperio. Repeating one of them can lead lifelong imprisonment in Azkaban.
Actors in Harry Potter Films
Now this third round definitely isn’t for the bookworms out there. Instead, it’s a chance to pay homage to the most famous faces that have graced the silver screen, in one of the films from the Harry Potter world. Let’s see how much you know about the actors and actresses that had starring roles in the series.
1. Which two actors played Dumbledore in the main films?
2. The actor of which character lied when he said in his audition that he had read the books?
3. Who links Cedric Diggory and Batman?
4. What rule forbade Robin Williams from playing Hagrid, despite him willing to do it for free?
5. In the 90’s which Potter actress had an affair with Kenneth Branagh (who plays Gilderoy Lockhart), the husband of Emma Thompson (Professor Trelawney)?
6. Which England rugby player was Hagrid actor Robbie Coltrane’s stunt double?
7. Knowing he had to stand out beyond his hair, which actor did with a rap about the character for whom he was auditioning?
8. Warwick Davis played Griphook the goblin and which other character?
9. Who attended Brown University whilst filming?
10. What was notable about Domhnall Gleeson, as Bill Weasley, breaking the news of Alastor Moody’s death to the Order of the Phoenix?
Want more TV and film questions? Try the 2000’s movie quiz
Actors in Harry Potter Films Answers
- Richard Harris and Michael Gambon. Gambon did not read the books before filming.
- Draco Malfoy – the director saw right through Tom Felton’s answer to a question about what from the book he was looking forward to seeing on screen.
- They are both played by Robert Pattinson.
- All the cast members had to be British.
- Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix)
- Martin Bayfield
- Rupert Grint
- Professor Flitwick
- Emma Watson
- Moody was played by his father, Brendan Gleeson
Did you know? Jude Law portrayed Dumbledore as a young man in the prequel film Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.
Trickier Harry Potter Quiz Questions and Answers
Everyone doing too well on matters of the occult? Let’s step it up a notch, with a slightly longer round, all a little bit more difficult than the rounds before. Yup, it’s a round of 14 (count ‘em 14!) intermediate Harry Potter trivia questions and answers!
1. What is the language used by serpents?
2. What is the name of the Weasley family home?
3. What relation is Vernon Dursley to Harry’s mother?
4. What is the missing animal: lion, eagle, snake…..?
5. On what street is Borgin & Burkes?
6. What is the age order of the Weasley children?
7. Which dark wizard did Dumbledore defeat in 1945?
8. Who was captain of the Gryffindor quidditch team in Harry’s first year?
9. What are the three Deathly Hallows?
10. In the second book, what is the password to Dumbledore’s office?
11. When is Fred and George’s birthday?
12. The organisation founded by Hermione, SPEW, what does it stand for?
13. What is at the core of Harry’s wand?
14. How does Bathilda Bagshot die?
Recommended Reading: The best board games and toy quiz questions
Trickier Harry Potter Quiz Answers
- The Burrow
- Her brother-in-law. Petunia is Lily’s sister.
- Badger (the animal that represents Hufflepuff)
- Knockturn Alley
- Ginny (youngest), Ron, Fred & George, Percy, Charlie, Bill.
- Gellert Grindelwald. He was subsequently imprisoned in his own fortress for decades before being killed by Lord Voldemort.
- Oliver Wood
- The Elder Wand, the Resurrection Stone and the Invisibility Cloak
- Sherbet Lemon
- April 1st
- The Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare
- A feather from Fawkes, Dumbledore’s phoenix
- Nagini kills her
A-Z Harry Potter Trivia Questions
Did the former 14 really tickle your supernatural fancy? Well this round will deliver in droves with twenty six Harry Potter trivia facts fit for the most fanatical of Potterites. Why, 26 you ask? Well, this round undoubtedly has a cryptic conundrum to solve…. 😋
1. What is the name of the spider raised by Hagrid, first seen in The Chamber of Secrets?
2. Who was sentenced to death for injuring Draco Malfoy?
3. Who, in his role as the Minister for Magic, has as one of his possessions a lime green bowler hat?
4. Concerningly for Professor Trelawney and Hagrid, who create and claims the office of Hogwarts High Inquisitor?
5. Who lives at The Burrow, is rather old and has a tendency to crash into things?
6. What powder provides access to a transportation system between fireplaces?
7. Friends with Dumbledore when they were teens, who was expelled from Durmstrang for near-fatal attacks on other students and later stole the Elder Wand?
8. Best friends with Rowena Ravenclaw, who was said to teach the students others would not?
9. Who is headmaster of the Durmstrang Institute?
10.. A friend of Fred and George Weasley, who is the announcer at each Quidditch match?
11. What is summoned with a raising of the right hand and is fitted inside with four-poster beds?
12. Instead of Firewhiskey centres, what is actually inside the chocolate cauldrons that Ron Weasley finds an old box of on his birthday?
13. With powerful healing effects when made into a potion, what plant, when uprooted, can kill with its cry?
14. How is Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington better known?
15. Whose shop has been making wands since 382 BC?
16. What is used by Harry to experience Professor Dumbledore’s memories of the Wizengamot trials?
17. Not given a first name in the books, who did J. K. Rowling later confirm, in Pottermore, is called Quirinus?
18. Who has a green “Quick-Quotes Quill”?
19. What name is given to a child of wizarding parents with no magic powers of his or her own?
20. What is Voldemort‘s real (including middle) name?
21. The most powerful wands use at their core one of phoenix feather, dragon heartstring or what animal’s hair?
22. One of Draco’s crony’s, what is Crabbe’s first name?
23. Which wonderfully named Professor takes over from Hagrid in teaching Harry’s Care of Magical Creatures class?
24. Father of a student in Ginny’s year, who is the editor of The Quibbler?
25. At what event does Harry dance with Parvati Patil?
26. Who is initially dismissive of Harry at the opening meetings of the Dumbledore’s Army?
Read next: Our list of fun quiz questions and answers
A-Z Harry Potter Trivia Answers
- Buckbeak, Hagrid’s hippogriff.
- Cornelius Fudge
- Dolores Umbridge. She later declares herself Headmistress of Hogwarts
- Errol, the Weasleys’ owl
- Floo powder
- Gellert Grindelwald
- Helga Hufflepuff
- Igor Karkaroff
- Lee Jordan
- The Knight Bus
- Love Potion
- Nearly Headless Nick
- Garrick Ollivander
- A pensieve
- Professor Quirrell
- Rita Skeeter
- Tom Marvolo Riddle
- Unicorn hair
- Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank
- Xenophilius Lovegood
- The Yule Ball
- Zacharias Smith
Interesting Fact: The drivers of the Knight Bus, Stan and Ernie, are named after Rowling’s grandfathers.
Deaths in Harry Potter Trivia Questions and Answers
For a series of books aimed at children, the Harry Potter series sure has a lot of Avada Kedavra-inspired death scenes. From the magical to the most macabre of murders, in this dark round of our Harry Potter trivia quiz, we look at the deaths that define these fantastical tales.
1. Who kills Albus Dumbledore?
2. Who murdered Dobby?
3. How does Merope Riddle die?
4. At whose hands did Cedric Diggory die?
5. Who kills Bellatrix Lestrange?
6. Who murdered Frank Bryce?
7. How did Nicolas Flamel die?
8. Who killed Lavender Brown?
9. How does Aragog die?
10. Who killed Barty Crouch Snr?
Need more quiz questions? Try our Arts and Literature Quiz
Deaths in Harry Potter Trivia Answers
- Severus Snape
- Bellatrix Lestrange
- Tom Riddle’s mother dies in childbirth
- Peter Pettigrew
- Molly Weasley
- The caretaker overheard Voldemort and Peter Pettigrew making plans, so, having been alerted to this by Nagini, Voldemort killed him.
- Of (very) old age, when (with Flamel’s agreement) Dumbledore destroyed the Philosopher’s Stone.
- The werewolf Fenrir Greyback, during the Battle of Hogwarts
- An unknown illness
- Barty Crouch Jnr (posing as Alastor Moody)
Did you know? The actor who played the young Tom Riddle (Hero Fiennes-Tiffin) is the nephew of the actor who played Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes)!
Expert Level Harry Potter Trivia Questions
Think you’ve reached the apex of Harry Potter enchantment? Have your contestants really aced the quiz so far? Well then it’s definitely the witching hour; essentially it’s time for some expert level Harry Potter trivia!
1. What are the names of Harry and Ginny’ s three children?
2. What colour are Harry’s eyes?
3. What did Ron get Harry for Christmas in their second year?
4. Who co-created the Marauder’s Map with Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew?
5. Who is Nicolas Flamel?
6. The OWL (Ordinary Wizarding Level) exams are taken at the end of the fifth year and the NEWTs in the final year. What does NEWT stand for?
7. Name all seven Horcruxes.
8. The scar on Dumbledore’s left knee resembles what?
9. Of what wood is Harry’s wand made?
10. What was the maiden name of Harry’s mother?
We think you’d like: Disney quiz questions and answers
Expert Level Harry Potter Trivia Answers
- James Sirius, Lily Luna, and Albus Severus
- A Flying with the Cannons book
- James Potter
- An unseen character in the first book, he discovered how to make a Philosopher’s Stone
- Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests
- Tom Riddle’s diary, Marvolo Gaunt’s Ring, Salazar Slytherin‘s Locket, Helga Hufflepuff’s Cup, Rowena Ravenclaw’s Diadem, Harry Potter, Nagini the snake.
- The London Underground map
Real Life Harry Potter Quiz Questions and Answers
And, just like that, we’re in the final chapter. It’s almost time to disapparate out of this ultimate Harry Potter quiz but… not before we bring it into ‘real life’. Of course Harry Potter is more than a fantasy collection of novels nowadays, with entire theatres, theme parks and tons of merchandise dedicated to the wizard and his charming pals. So, for this final fantastic round, we look at some of the more mundane, less magical parts of the franchise.
1. What was the print run of the first edition?
2. What is the author’s first name?
3. What does ‘K’ stand for in J.K. Rowling?
4. What is the author’s pen name?
5. What word from the Harry Potter universe was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2002?
6. In what year was the first book published?
7. Name the main publisher of the books in either the UK or the US.
8. Who directed the first two films?
9. Which of the books won the yearly Hugo Award for Best Novel (as presented by the World Science Fiction Society)?
10. In 2012, the opening ceremony of the London Summer Olympics featured a 100-foot tall rendition of which character?
Real Life Harry Potter Quiz Answers
- 500. In 2018 a signed first edition copy of The Philosopher’s Stone was sold at auction for £127,500.
- Kathleen. Her name was put as J.K. Rowling because the publishers thought a book by an obviously female author may not appeal to the target audience of young boys. Kathleen is taken from her grandmother and it is not part of her legal name.
- Robert Galbraith
- Muggle. A ‘person who lacks a particular skill or skills, or who is regarded as inferior in some way’.
- Bloomsbury (UK) or Scholastic Press (in the United States)
- Christopher Columbus
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was nominated the year before!
- Lord Voldemort
Recommended Quiz: The best fun quiz questions
So, how did you and your participants do? Have they gotten the Dementor’s Kiss in the results? Or have they cast a winning spell over the other quizzers, soaring to the top of the sorcerer’s board? Regardless of the outcome, we hope you – and your contestants – have really enjoyed our take on the ultimate Harry Potter quiz. Got some feedback for us? Do let us know if we’ve missed any cracking questions off this list, by dropping us a quick comment below!
Want to save this for later? Why not pin it…