From the moment William Webb Ellis lifted that ball and started racing across the lawn, the sport of rugby captured the hearts of all who play (and watch) it. But, even the most passionate of rugby pundits might struggle to answer ten rounds of questions on The Gentleman’s Game. Let’s see how you, and your quizzers do to get the proverbial quiz ball over the line, in this ultimate list of 100 Rugby Union quiz questions and answers.
Get your scrum of friends, family or even colleagues together for an epic pub quiz night, either handled in real life with a few beers in hand, or virtually via platforms like Skype, Zoom or House Party. We’ve delivered this drop kick of a rugby quiz in ten rounds of ten questions all dedicated to Rugby Union (okay, with a few Rugby League questions thrown in too) but, of course, feel free to change your line-up, or even add a picture round (or two) if some of them are too difficult.
Ready to kick off? Crouch, bind, set!
Rugby Union World Cup Quiz Questions and Answers
From humble beginnings back in 1987 to today’s sporting spectacle, watched by millions around the globe, the Rugby World Cup is no doubt the pinnacle of the game. So, start off your rugby quiz with the best – ten questions about the World Cup to get everyone started!
1. What is the name of the Rugby World Cup?
2. Who were runners up in the first Rugby World Cup?
3. Which rugby player scored the most tries at the 2019 Rugby World Cup?
4. Which rugby player was the top points scorer at the 2019 Rugby World Cup?
5. What is the furthest Ireland have got at a Rugby World Cup?
6. What is the record for most tries by a player at a Rugby World Cup tournament?
7. Which international rugby player holds the record for most points scored at the Rugby World Cup?
8. Which player has won the most matches at the Rugby World Cup?
9. Which tier one side have never reached the quarter finals?
10. How many times has a country most appeared in the Rugby World Cup Final (from 1987 to 2019 RWCs)?
Rugby Union World Cup Quiz Answers
- Webb Ellis Cup
- France (to New Zealand in 1987)
- Josh Adams (Wales)
- Handre Pollard (South Africa)
- Quarter Final
- Eight (shared by Jonah Lomu for NZ in 99. Bryan Habana for SA in 07 and Julian Savea for NZ in 15)
- Jonny Wilkinson for ENG amassed 277 pointed and played in the 99, 03, 01 and 2011 Rugby World Cups
- Richie McCaw with 20 wins for NZ between 03-15
- Four (This is shared between Australia 1991, 1999, 2003 and 2015, England in 1991, 2003, 2007 and 2019 and New Zealand in 1987, 1995, 2011 and 2015)
Who else is in the running? South Africa have a 100% record of winning World Cup finals that they have appeared in but that is only 3, in 1995, 2007 and 2019. France have a 100% record of losing in their final appearances in 1987, 1999 and 2011.
Six Nations Rugby Quiz Question
It’s the battle of the northern hemisphere titans as six of the best rugby-playing nations north of the equator get together each year to lift the Championship Trophy. Test your player’s knowledge with this brilliant round of Six Nations quiz questions!
1. The 6 Nations comprises which 6 nations?
2. Who has scored the most tries in the 6 Nations?
3. Who has scored the most points in the 6 Nations?
4. Where do Scotland play their home rugby matches?
5. Which player has the most 6 Nations appearances?
6. How many games make up the longest losing streak in the 6 Nations?
7. And how many games make up the longest winning streak in the 6 Nations tournament?
8. Since 2007 which 2 nations compete for the Garibaldi trophy?
9. Which side has won the most Grand Slams throughout the history of the competition (think back before it was named the Six Nations)?
10. Throughout the history of the competition (think back before it was named the Six Nations), including previously shared titles, which side has the most titles since the tournament’s inception?
Love all sport? Use our ultimate sports quiz questions
Six Nations Rugby Quiz Answers
- England, France, Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales
- Brian O’Driscoll has 26 tries for Ireland
- Ronan O’Gara has amassed an insane 557 points for Ireland
- BT Murrayfield in Edinburgh
- Sergio Parisse has made 69 appearances for Italy
- 13 games by Italy
- 11 games by England
- France and Italy
- England (13)
- Wales 39. (27 outright and 12 shared), England have most outright wins with 28 but have only shared the title 10 times.
The Rugby Championship Quiz Questions and Answers
If they knew their northern nations, it’s time to go south to the match-ups formerly (and arguably more famously known) as the Tr-Nations. With the addition of Argentina, the Rugby Championship truly became a battle for prominence in the Southern hemisphere; but which of your contestants will come out tops in the battle for this round?
1. The Rugby Championship comprises which nations?
2. Which player has scored the most points in the Rugby Championship?
3. Who has scored the most tries in the Rugby Championship?
4. Which team has the longest winning streak in the Rugby Championship?
5. And which team has the longest losing streak?
6. Who has the most Rugby Championship appearances?
7. Which country has won the most Rugby Championship titles (including titles won when it was called the Tri Nations)?
8. In the competition, which sides compete for the Bledisloe Cup?
9. Who is the top points scorer for South Africa?
10. Who is the top points scorer for Argentina?
Recommended next quiz: The best history quiz questions and answers
The Rugby Championship Quiz Answers
- Argentina, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa
- Dan Carter from the All Blacks has 554 pts
- Bryan Habana the lightning quick Springbok winger has 21 tries
- New Zealand (12 wins in the 2012 and 2013)
- Argentina (15 losses between 2012 and 2014)
- Richie McCaw made 58 appearances for the All Blacks between 2002 and 2015
- New Zealand have won 17 (10 Tri Nations and 7 Rugby Championship)
- Australia and New Zealand
- Morne Steyn has 390 pts
- Nicola Sanchez has 289 pts
Did you know? Matt Burke holds the Australian record with 271 points in the Rugby Championship…
Super Rugby Quiz Questions and Answers
Just in case those Southern Hemisphere giants didn’t have enough grit during the Rugby Championship, they decided to meet up a few more times; this time in the club (or franchise) competition – Super Rugby! This round of ten questions is all about rugby trivia questions and answers in Super Rugby – let’s see how they do.
1. As of 2020 how many franchises are in Super Rugby?
2. Which franchise holds the record for most Super Rugby titles?
3. Which is the only South African franchise to win the title?
4. Who has scored the most points in Super Rugby
5. Who has scored the most tries in Super Rugby?
6. Which country was home to the Sun Wolves?
7. Which side has the longest winning streak in Super Rugby?
8. Which side has the longest losing streak in Super Rugby?
9. Which player has the most Super Rugby appearances?
10. Which two franchises went on to play in the Pro 14?
We think you’ll like: 100 Cricket Quiz Questions and Answers
Super Rugby Quiz Questions and Answers
- Crusaders (5 x Super 12 titles, 2 x Super 14 titles and 3 x Super Rugby titles)
- Bulls. But they have won it 3 times, in 2007, 2009 and 2010
- Dan Carter has scored 1713 pts
- Israel Folau crossed that line 60 times
- Crusaders (16 wins in 2018 and 2019)
- Lions (17 losses between 2009 and 2011)
- Wyatt Crockett has made 202 appearances
- Southern Kings and the Cheetahs
Heineken Cup Quiz Questions
Head your quizzers back up north, to see how many questions they can tackle about that European competition, the European Rugby Champions Cup. Previously known as the Heineken Cup (yes, we are stalwarts for the old name), it’s not the oldest struggle of the rugby sides but it is one of the greatest. To celebrate it, here are ten rugby union quiz questions and answers all dedicated to the Heineken Cup:
1. Which countries have entered clubs into the Heineken Cup and Heineken Champions Cup?
2. Who has scored the most tries in the Heineken Cup tournament?
3. Who has scored the most points in the Heineken Cup tournament?
4. Which teams have the record for Heineken Cup title wins?
5. Which team were unfortunately the runners-up in the first Heineken Cup?
6. What was unique about the 2009 semi-final between Cardiff and Leicester?
7. Which side have the infamous record of reaching the final the most times without winning a title?
8. Which country can boast that its clubs have won the most titles?
9. Which country has seen its clubs in the final the most times?
10. What do Bath, Leinster, Northampton and Wasps have in common?
Why not try out this Entertainment Trivia Quiz?
Heineken Cup Quiz Answers
- England, France, Ireland, Italy, Romania, Scotland and Wales
- Chris Ashton has scored 39 tries
- Ronan O’Gara has scored 1365 pts
- Both Toulouse and Leinster have 4 title wins
- Cardiff, as of 2020 they are the only Welsh club to play in the final. No Scottish, Italian or Romanian side have ever reached it either
- It was decided by penalty shootout. Leicester won.
- Clermont have been the losing finalist in 2013, 15 and 17
- England have won it 9 times
- France have had 8 winners and 14 runners ups
- They are the only sides to have won both the Challenge Cup and Champions Cup
British and Irish Lions Quiz Questions and Answers
Unless your quizzers hail from the hallowed nations of Britain and Ireland, they might find this round a little trickier than most. This is a great round for a rugby team picture quiz – just get a few images of the players in question below, to help jog those memories with these tricky questions about rugby.
1. Who holds the record for most Test Caps for the British and Irish Lions?
2. Who holds the record for scoring the test match points for the British and Irish Lions?
3. Who holds the record for scoring the most tries in test matches for the British and Irish Lions?
4. What do Jared Payne and Elliot Daly have in common apart from being picked to tour in 2017?
5. In what year did the British and Irish Lions play their first international match?
6. What is unique about the Lions’ tour of South Africa in 1974?
7. Who is the oldest player to win a test cap for the British and Irish Lions?
8. Who kicked the series winning kick for South Africa against the British and Irish Lions in 2009?
9. Who has toured with the British and Irish Lions in 3 different decades as a player?
10. Prior to the 2021 tour to South Africa, how many test matches have the British and Irish Lions won under Warren Gatland as head coach?
Want more questions? 100 of the best football quiz questions and answers
British and Irish Lions Quiz Answers
- Willie John McBride had 17 caps for the Lions between 1962 and 1974
- Gavin Hastings with 69 pts in matches between 1986 and 1993
- Tony O’ Reilly has 6 tries in test matches played between 1955 and 1959
- They played together for the Barbarians against the Lions in 2013
- They went undefeated, winning all but one game. Which was a controversial draw in the 4th and final test.
- Neil Back. In 2005 against NZ he was capped at 36 years and 160 days.
- Morne Steyn kicked a winning penalty to seal the match and series. The game finished 28-25.
- Dai Young in 1989, 1997 and 2001
- 3! He also lost 2 and drew 1 meaning he has won a series against Australia and drawn one against New Zealand. Quite the record.
Rugby League Quiz Questions and Answers
Tired of tossing Rugby Union questions at your quiz contestants? Go against the run of play with these ten rugby trivia questions all about Rugby League:
1. Which town saw the formation of the Northern Rugby Football Union in 1895 and effectively the birth of Rugby League?
2. Which player started out playing 12 times for Wigan and then 9 times for Widnes before playing 265 games for St Helens? He ended his career with 22 games at Hull, and as of 2020 is an assistant coach at Harlequins rugby union side?
3. Which 2 sides (both no longer in the Super League) played the inaugural game of Super League in 1996?
4. What is the nickname for the New Zealand side in rugby league?
5. What is the nickname for the Australia side in rugby league?
6. Which player has scored the most tries in the Super League?
7. Which player has scored the most points in Super League?
8. Up to and including the 2019 season, which side has won the most Super League titles?
9. Who was described as a “poor lad” by the commentator Eddie Waring for missing a kick in front of the posts that would have won the infamous watersplash Challenge Cup final in 1968?
10. Which side have won the most Challenge Cup Finals?
Why not try out some of these Animal Quiz Questions…?
Rugby League Quiz Questions and Answers
- Sean long
- Paris St Germain beat Sheffield Eagles 30-24
- Kiwis (In Rugby Union they are known as the All Blacks)
- Kangaroos (In Rugby Union they’re known as the Wallabies)
- Danny McGuire with 247 tries
- Kevin Sinfield has 3443 pts
- Leeds have the most – 8 titles
- Don Fox for Wakefield
- Wigan have won the trophy 19 times
Gallagher Premiership Rugby Quiz Questions and Answers
How much do you think your participants know about the English rugby contest, the Gallagher Premiership? Let’s hope they come out top of the table after taking on these ten rugby union quiz questions and answers all about the English Premiership (the rugby one, that is).
1. Which rugby team holds the record for most Premiership titles?
2. In which year did the Rugby Premiership league start?
3. Which player holds the record for all time tries in the Gallagher Premiership (and as it has been previously known)?
4. Which player holds the record for all time points scored in the Premiership?
5. And which player holds the record for all time appearances in the competition?
6. When were play-offs introduced to the Premiership?
7. How many teams have competed in the Premiership (and/or top flight competition)?
8. Which country, outside of England has seen the most Premiership rugby matches hosted there?
9. Which Premiership rugby club is the oldest?
10. And which club is the youngest in the Premiership?
Speaking of the English Premiership, check out our English Football Quiz!
Gallagher Premiership Rugby Quiz Round Answers
- Leicester with 10 titles
- Tom Varndell crossed the white line 92 times in the Premiership
- Charlie Hodgson with 2625 pts
- Richard Wigglesworth currently holds the record with 283 appearances and counting as of mid-August 2020
- 02/03 season
- Sale (established 1861)
- London Irish (established 1898)
England Rugby Union Quiz Questions
It’s the penultimate round, and another fiendish one at that. Perhaps a little biased towards English rugby fans (actually, the author of this quiz is a Irishman!), we’ve got ten cracking quiz questions all about the English national rugby team, The Roses.
1. Which player holds the record for all time English caps?
2. Which player holds the record for all time points scored for England?
3. Which player holds the record for all time tries scored for England?
4. What song is the unofficial anthem of England, first sang at an International rugby game when England played Ireland in 1988, when Chris Oti scored a hat trick?
5. Who is the youngest player to play for England?
6. Who is the oldest player to play for England?
7. Who captained England to Rugby World Cup victory in 2003?
8. Who holds the record for most appearances as England captain?
9. Against who did England record their largest winning margin?
10. What is the name of the England home ground?
Read next: Our ultimate fun quiz questions and answers
England Rugby Union Quiz Round Answers
- Jason Leonard with 114 playing for England between 1990 and 2004
- Jonny Wilkinson scored 1179 pts between 1998 and 2011
- Rory Underwood is England’s leading try scorer with 49 tries between 1984 and 1996
- Swing low sweet chariot
- Jonny Wilkinson. He was on 18 years and 314 days when he made his debut against Ireland in 1998.
- Fred Gilbert played at the ripe old age of 39 years and 42 days v Ireland way back in 1923.
- Martin Johnson
- Will Carling with 59
- Romania have that unfortunate record having been thumped 134-0 in 2001
Where else have England played? England’s home matches have also been hosted at Leicester’s Welford Road back in 1923, Wembley Stadium in 1992, at Old Trafford in Manchester in both 1997 and 2009, Huddersfield’s McAlpine Stadium in 1998, Etihad Stadium in 2015, and St James’ Park in Newcastle upon Tyne in 2019.
History of Rugby Union Quiz Questions and Answers
Last, but definitely not least, it’s worth using the dying minutes of your rugby quiz match to really go back in time: with ten rugby trivia questions about the history of the game! See which of your quizzers goes for the drop goal, and who can pull ahead on the scoreboard with one last try:
1. Where was rugby invented?
2. In what year did a try become worth 5 points?
3. When did Rugby Union become professional?
4. Where did the first ever game of Rugby 7s take place?
5. Prior to 7s making a return for Rugby at the Olympic Games. Who were the reigning Olympic champions from the last time the full format made an appearance in 1924?
6. In what year did the first Rugby World Cup take place?
7. Who took part in the first recognised International rugby match?
8. Who presented the Rugby World Cup trophy, the Webb Ellis Cup, to South Africa in 1995 when they won as host nation?
9. In which city did Japan beat South Africa on 19th September 2015?
10. In which city did Ireland beat New Zealand on 5th November 2016?
Next Trivia Round: Here are some of the best Science Quiz Questions.
History of Rugby Union Answers
- Rugby School (in Warwickshire, England)
- In 1992 – it increased from 4 points
- 1995 – following the Rugby World Cup of that year
- Melrose RFC in 1883
- England v Scotland in 1871
- Nelson Mandela
- Brighton (at the Amex Arena although during the tournament the stadium wasn’t known as the Amex Arena due to Mastercard sponsoring the Rugby World Cup!)
- Chicago (at Soldier Field)
So, what did you think of our ultimate list of rugby union quiz questions and answers? Did we cover all the questions about rugby that you expected for your contestants?
Do let us know what you think by dropping us a comment below. Or, if we’re missing any key rugby-related questions, do get in touch!
Want to save this for later? Why not pin it…