From the pens of prolific writers like Aldous Huxley or HG Wells, or immortalised on the silver screen by leading filmmakers like Stanley Kubrick or Ridley Scott, there’s no doubt that science fiction fascinates many around the world. But, how much do you really know about sci fi in all its forms? It’s time to test your knowledge of the world of science fiction and fantasy in this, our list of 100 sci fi trivia questions and answers!
Gather your friends, family (or maybe even colleagues?) around for an epic trivia night, all dedicated to topics like technology, time travel and extra-terrestrials, to see how they fare with these epic science fiction quiz questions.
Ready to go? Let’s teleport into this epic trivia quiz! 🚀
Star Wars Trivia Questions and Answers
Now you have to kick off your epic sci fi quiz night with the ultimate in science fiction history, the iconic Star Wars series. Who would have thought that George Lucas’ initial film 1977 would garner so much fame, and become a pop culture phenomenon..?
Whether you’re a real Star Wars fan or have just watched one of the cinematic marvels on a rainy weekend, we’ve got ten of the best sci fi quiz questions all about Star Wars:
1. Name the administrator of Cloud City who appears in The Empire Strikes Back?
2. Who plays Luke Skywalker throughout the series?
3. Which character, in Return of the Jedi says “it’s a trap!”? This is now a popular meme used in social media.
4. What year did the first Star Wars film come out?
5. Which planet is Jar Jar Binks from?
6. Along with Princess Leia, who is widely considered the only other major female character in Star Wars: A new Hope?
7. Which actress plays Rey in the third trilogy?
8. Who directed Solo: A Star Wars Story?
9. According to the opening titles, when and where does Star Wars: A new Hope take place?
10. Ewan Macgregor and Alec Guinness play which character?
Star Wars Trivia Answers
- Lando Calrissian
- Mark Hamill
- Admiral Ackbar
- Naboo (it first appears in The Phantom Menace)
- Beru Lars (Shelagh Fraser), Luke Skywalker’s aunt.
- Daisy Ridley
- Ron Howard
- A long time ago in a galaxy far far away
- Obi Wan Kenobi
Did you know? 1977 was the name of the debut album from Ash (in homage to Star Wars). In fact, the album opens with the sound of a TIE fighter!
Star Trek Trivia Questions and Answers
Trekkies unite! From its humble beginnings in 1964, Star Trek has become a worldwide sensation, with characters like Spock taking their rightful place in the sci-fi hall of fame. But how much do your quizzers know about this classic science fiction franchise? Test their knowledge below…
1. Into Darkness (2013) was what number Star Trek film?
2. What is the name of the main ship in the franchise?
3. Which character is played by James Doohan and Simon Pegg?
4. In which film did Captain Picard and Captain Kirk come face to face?
5. Which actor plays Picard’s clone in Star Trek: Nemesis?
6. Which character’s grandfather is the Klingon lawyer for Kirk and McCoy in the trial in Star Trek: An Undiscovered Country?
7. Spock is half human and half what?
8. Which American city features in Star Trek: A Voyage Home?
9. Who created Star Trek?
10. What is the name of the catch 22 scenario which Kirk cheats to win during his training at Starfleet Academy?
Love science? Check out our ultimate science trivia quiz!
Star Trek Trivia Answers
- Montgomery Scott (Scotty)
- Star Trek Generations
- Tom Hardy
- Worf (Michael Dorn plays the role)
- San Francisco
- Gene Roddenberry
- Kobayashi Maru
Famous Science Fiction Books Trivia Questions and Answers
Many a child (and an adult of course) has found refuge in the pages of science fiction novels. From Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451 or Martian Chronicles to Isaac Asimov’s I, Robot, there are so many books that have sparked science fiction. Let’s explore some of the most famous ones in these ten questions about sci fi books.
1. Which author wrote the bestseller Jurassic Park which “hatched” into the successful film franchise?
2. What is the name of the novel from Phillip K Dick that the movie Blade Runner is based on?
3. Some say written in 1818 is the first science fiction novel, who wrote it?
4. Arthur C Clarke’s short story The Sentinel became which classic film directed by Stanley Kubrick in 1968?
5. Published in 1895, who wrote The Time Machine?
6. In 1984 David Lynch directed a film adaptation of which Frank Herbert novel?
7. Which novel introduces us to characters such as Arthur Dent?
8. Which 1932 Aldous Huxley novel was adapted for television in 2020?
9. Which 1987 film featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger was based on a 1982 novel of the same name written by Stephen King?
10. Who wrote the 1949 Novel 1984, which tells a tale of a dystopian regime?
Famous Science Fiction Books Trivia Answers
- Michael Crichton
- Do Androids dream of electric sheep?
- Mary Shelley
- 2001, A Space Odyssey
- HG Wells
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
- Brave New World
- The Running Man
- George Orwell
Did you know that The Running Man was directed by Paul Michael Glaser, better known for playing Dave Starsky in 1970s TV show Starsky and Hutch!
Look, I am Your Father! Sci Fi Trivia Questions and Answers
While science fiction is often about dystopian worlds or surreal fantasies, there’s often a human element at play, something almost familial. With that in mind, we wanted to count down some of the most famous family pairings in science fiction movies and books. So, without further ado, here’s a round with ten questions about famous parents and their kids in science fiction!
1. In Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, who reveals himself to be Luke Skywalker’s father?
2. In Star Trek: Wrath of Khan, who do we discover is the son of Captain Kirk?
3. In Star Trek: Deep Space 9, who is Benjamin Sisko’s son?
4. In the 2009 film Star Trek, who played George Kirk, father of James?
5. In Doctor Who, what is the first name of Rose Tyler’s mother?
6. Who played Rey’s mother in the Star Wars films?
7. What is the first name of Marty McFly’s father in the Back to the Future films?
8. What is the name of Han Solo and Princess Leia’s son?
9. In Star Trek: The next Generation, Wesley Crusher’s mother was the ship’s doctor. What was her name?
10. In the rebooted version of Battlestar Galactica, who was the father of Zak and Leyland?
Recommended next quiz: The best history quiz questions and answers
Look, I am Your Father! Sci Fi Trivia Answers
- Darth Vader formerly known as Anakin Skywalker
- David Marcus
- Jake (Sisko)
- Chris Hemsworth
- Jodie Comer
- Ben Solo aka Kylo Ren
- Beverley Crusher
- William “Bill” Adama
Wook who’s talking – Sci Fi Quiz Questions and Answers
From the captivating Cocoon to the more humorous Coneheads, aliens (or extra-terrestrials) have always taken prime position in science fiction. In this headscratcher of a round, we look into the many different alien populations in popular culture, with these ten questions about different alien races in science fiction.
1. These aliens first appeared in Return of the Jedi. Although the species name is not mentioned in the film. Their home planet is Endor.
2. These aliens first appeared in series 4 of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and subsequently appeared in Star Trek: Deep Space 9 and Star Trek Voyager. In the past they annexed the Bajoran’s home planet Bajor.
3. They first appeared in the 4th series of Dr Who. It was William Hartnell’s last episode. In their original incarnation, they were from the earth’s twin planet called Mondas.
4. They first appeared in the original TV show of Battlestar Galactica. They are robots built by an extinct reptilian race.
5. They were originally based on a toy line. Their first television episode was called Arrival from Cybertron. They are now involved in a movie franchise developed by Michael Bay.
6. They first appeared in the 5th ever episode of Dr Who? Their home planet is Skaros. They are the only alien to face every incarnation of the Dr.
7. Although unnamed, this race first appeared in the Stargate movie. They are the primary adversary in Stargate SG1. They are parasites.
8. In the Planet of the Apes movies, what planet are the apes from?
9. This race appear in the film Avatar. They inhabit the moon of Pandora.
10. These aliens first appeared in the original series of Star Trek. Their language is now learnt by fans of the show/films. They are a warrior race.
Love Disney? Then why not try out our 100 Disney Film Quiz Questions and Answers?
Wook who’s talking – Sci Fi Quiz Answers
Guess ‘Dr’ Who Sci Fi Trivia Questions and Answers
It is undoubtedly one of the BBC’s most successful programmes of all time; a show with a cult following not just in the UK but further afield. It can only be Doctor Who, a TV series which documents the ‘Doctor’, an alien parading as a human.
Now, over the years, the good ‘Doctor’ has been played by many actors, but how many do you know? In this round we ask your participants to guess which actor played Dr Who, as described in the clues below.
1. I am the third Doctor. I am the first to work with Sarah Jane as a companion. Who am I?
2. I am the tenth Doctor. Donna, Rose and Martha were all my companions throughout my time. Who am I?
3. I am the fourth Doctor. It may be that I am most famous for my booming voice and long scarf. I was the first Doctor to have K9 as a companion. Who am I?
4. I am the fifth Doctor. I liked to dress in Edwardian cricket gear and used to boast a celery stalk on my left lapel. Who am I?
5. I am the thirteenth Doctor. I am the first woman doctor. Who am I?
6. I am the eight doctor. My first appearance was in a television movie in 1996. I appeared opposite Eric Roberts who played the Master. Who am I?
7. I am the second Doctor. My first companions were Ben and Polly. I was the first Doctor to encounter the ice Warriors. Who am I?
8. I am not the Doctor but “a” Doctor. I appeared in two film adaptations both featuring the Daleks. Unlike the other doctors, I am human. Who am I?
9. I am the ninth Doctor. Rose Tyler was my companion. I was the the first doctor to regularly appear in 2005 since 1989. Who am I?
10. I am the first Doctor Who. My Granddaughter and companion was Susan Foreman. My last battle was against the cybermen. Who am I?
Fancy trying out some sports trivia? Why not try some of our sports quiz questions…
Guess ‘Dr’ Who Sci Fi Trivia Answers
- Jon Pertwee
- David Tennant
- Tom Baker
- Peter Davison
- Jodie Whittaker
- Paul McGann
- Patrick Troughton
- Peter Cushing
- Christopher Eccleston
- William Hartnell
Leading Ladies of Science Fiction Trivia Questions
While Patrick Stewart and Keanu Reeves might be the first actors that come to mind when thinking of science fiction, there’s no doubt that many actresses have also made their mark on the genre. In this round of sci fi movie trivia, let’s see if you can name the actress from the clues below.
1. From the Terminator films, Sarah Connor is the mother of John Connor.
2. From the Alien franchise, Ellen Ripley is the main protagonist in the original film series.
3. From the X Files TV series and films, Dana Scully is a sceptic of the paranormal and the professional partner of Fox Mulder.
4. From Star Trek, Nyota Uhura the communications officer on the original Starship Enterprise. This character featured in the original series and films and subsequently in the reboot films.
5. From Star Wars, The Princess of Alderaan, Princess Leia is also Luke Skywalker’s twin sister.
6. Adapted from a French comic book of the same name, appeared in the 1968 film version as the titular character Barbarella.
7. Featured as a companion of the 11th and 12th Drs in Dr Who, Clara Oswald.
8. In the third trilogy of Star Wars films, Rey takes on the Skywalker name although has no relation by birth.
9. Featuring in Torchwood, the spin off from Doctor Who, Gwen Cooper, is the main protagonist who features along with Captain Jack Harkness.
10. From the Matrix trilogy, Trinity is a computer hacker and is skilled with computers, at operating vehicles both inside and outside the Matrix, and in martial arts.
Leading Women of Science Fiction Trivia Answers
- Linda Hamilton
- Sigourney Weaver
- Gillian Anderson
- Nichelle Nicholls / Zoe Saldana
- Carrie Fisher
- Jane Fonda
- Jenna Coleman
- Daisey Ridley
- Eve Myles
- Carrie-Anne Moss
TV Sci Fi Trivia Questions
In this ultimate sci-fi quiz, we’ve covered a lot of films. So, without further ado, it’s time switch our focus for the last three rounds, to focus on the smaller screen: television! Let’s start off our first of three TV sci fi questions and answers rounds with a more general take:
1. The character Mork from Mork and Mindy, first appeared on which show?
2. Which show featured Gordon Shumway, an alien life form from the planet Melmac arriving on earth and living with the Tanner family?
3. Which show saw two FBI agents, Mulder and Scully investigate cases that appear to involve the paranormal?
4. Which show was initially a mini-series from 1983, but also a rebooted series from 2009 featuring aliens coming to earth seemingly for aid, but all is not what it seems?
5. Originally a 1973 film, what became a TV series in 2016, featuring a futuristic theme park resembling the wild west.
6. Based on the 1920s comic strip and a television movie pilot from 1978, what TV show follows the titular character who, following a NASA experiment, is frozen in space for 504 years and has to adapt to the future?
7. What TV series is a British sci-fi sitcom which takes place on a mining spacecraft which is eponymous.
8. Which TV sci fi show ran for 5 series from 1989 and featured a physicist who leaps through spacetime during an experiment in time travel, by temporarily taking the place of other people to correct historical mistakes.
9. What cult show, created by Joss Wheldon, was cancelled after 11 episodes? It was described a space western.
10. What British sci fi show that ran from 1978 to 1981? The titular character initially travels through space with 6 others – as political dissidents and renegades.
TV Sci Fi Trivia Answers
- Happy Days
- X Files
- Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
- Red Dwarf
- Quantum Leap
- Blake’s 7
Cult Success! Despite Firefly being cancelled, it was such a cult success that a film was made and released in 2005.
Star Wars on TV Quiz Questions and Answers
From the huge cinematic spectacles of Star Wars on the silver screen, to it’s adaptation for the ‘tube’, this round is all about Star Wars trivia for television. Let’s see how even the most ardent fans fare in this round of slightly difficult sci-fi trivia!
1. What is the name of the first live action Star Wars television series?
2. Which Scottish actor featured in Star Wars: The Clone Wars and won an Emmy for Outstanding Performer in an Animated Program for his performance?
3. Which race of aliens had their own eponymous animated series which ran for 2 seasons in 1985 and 1986?
4. On what show did Chewbacca’s family make an appearance?
5. Along with the full-length TV series, how many different micro Star Wars series have there been?
6. Name the online Star Wars gameshow which features taking part in obstacle course challenges?
7. Which 1985 animated show ran for one season in 1985, featuring C3PO and R2-D2?
8. Who is the creator and showrunner of The Mandalorian?
9. Who appeared as the holographic band in the Star Wars Holiday Special?
10. Which toy brand has entered the Star Wars universe by producing several short films and television specials?
Keen on switching your quiz from Sci Fi to animals? Try our fun animal quiz
Star Wars on TV Quiz Answers
- The Mandalorian
- David Tennant
- The Star Wars Holiday Special from 1978
- 5. Clone Wars (2003–2005), Blips (2017), Forces of Destiny (2017–2018), Galaxy of Adventures (2018–present) and Roll Out (2019–present)
- Jedi Temple Challenge
- Jon Favreau
- Jefferson Starship
Did you know? Kenny Baker, who played R2-D2 in the films, did not appear in the special. The droid was performed entirely by a radio-controlled unit, operated by Mick Garris (Lucas’s receptionist). In the credits, R2-D2 is credited as playing himself.
Star Trek on TV Trivia Questions and Answers
You’ve made it! The last and ultimate round of our sci-fi nerd quiz, perfect for fantasy and science fiction geeks but also, really, the entire family and all your friends. To crown off your quiz night, what better way to end than another nod to the Trekkies, with these final ten sci-fi questions about Star Trek on television:
1. The pilot episode of Star Trek was called what?
2. Who plays Captain Janeway in Star Trek Voyager?
3. Which creature gave the crew trouble in the 15th episode of the original series? They made a return in the 104th episode of Deep Space 9 some 29 years later, using footage from the original episode.
4. Who is the Captain of the USS Discovery?
5. Star Trek Deep Space 9 saw which character from its sister show Star Trek: The Next Generation join its cast in the 4th season?
6. The season 6 finale of Star Trek: The Next Generation had a guest star role for which legendary physicist?
7. Who played Captain Jonathan Archer in Star Trek Enterprise?
8. Star Trek Voyager sees officers from star fleet join forces from which resistance group to find its way home?
9. Majel Barrett played various roles throughout Star Trek including the voice of ships’ computers, but who was her husband in real life?
10. How many Star Trek television shows have there been? Including animated shows…
Star Trek on TV Trivia Answers
- The Cage
- Kate Mulgrew
- Gabriel Lorca played by Jason Isaacs
- Stephen Hawking
- Scott Bakula
- Gene Roddenberry the creator of the show
- 10. The Original Series (1966–1969), The Animated Series (1973–1974), The Next Generation (1987–1994), Deep Space Nine (1993–1999), Voyager (1995–2001), Enterprise (2001–2005), Discovery (2017–present), Short Treks (2018–present), Picard (2020–present), Lower Decks (2020–present).
We hope you (and your contestants) loved all these sci-fi fantasy trivia questions and answers! And that, even if they didn’t top the trivia leaderboard, they at least learned something about one of the best entertainment genres out there.
Did we miss any cracking questions off this quiz? Got any suggestions for new trivia questions? Please do drop us a comment below, or get in touch!
Want to save this for later? Why not pin it…