Looking to host an online quiz with friends and family? Or you’re in charge of the local pub quiz and want to theme it around your favourite pursuit: travel? We’ve put together a bumper list of the best travel quiz questions and answers, a mix of easy, medium and difficult that might have your contestants scratching their heads.
Separated into an easy general knowledge round as well as rounds per continent, you could always add a Picture Round – get yourself a few pictures of landmarks off Getty Images or even on free platforms like Unsplash – and get your quizzers to guess the country your iconic landmark is situated within.
Okay, ready to get started? Let’s build your ultimate weekly travel quiz!
General Knowledge Travel Quiz
It’s always a good idea to put together some cracking travel quiz questions and answers that are a bit more general, to get everyone fired up. Here are ten brilliant quiz questions for a general knowledge round:
1. Complete the travel quote: Not all those that wander are….
2. Name the two countries in the world beginning with the letter ‘S’ that have a sword or a saber on the national flag.
3. On which continent would you find Lake Vostock?
4 Out of these four capital cities, which is the most northerly? Moscow, Tokyo, Helsinki or Ottawa?
5. Which is colder: The North Pole or South Pole?
6. Which of these three capital cities is the most southerly? Pretoria, Santiago or Canberra?
7. Where in the world would you find the largest volcano?
8. Which is bigger? Europe or Antarctica?
9. In terms of area, which is the world’s largest landlocked country? Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Egypt or Paraguay?
10. Which of these is biggest in surface area: Russia, China or the planet Pluto?
Read next: Epic list of Southeast Asia Quiz Questions
General Knowledge Travel Quiz Answers
- Sri Lanka and Saudi Arabia
- South Pole
Interesting fact: In a head-to-head surface area comparison of Russia vs Pluto, Russia is slightly larger at 17,075,200 square kilometres, while Pluto is 16,647,940 square kilometres.
Europe Travel Quiz Questions
We’ve divided up the world into the continents, starting off with Europe. From France to Finland, try out one of these fantastic ten travel trivia questions and answers about the countries of Europe.
In which city is the iconic landmark Big Ben located?
Tallinn is the capital city of which Eastern European country?
What are Neuschwanstein and Balmoral?
What country is LEGO from?
What French wine region ends in the letter x?
What is the largest island in Greece?
Which European capital city is divided by canals into about 90 islands joined by about 400 bridges?
Which European country’s flag has the most colours on it?
Which singer had a hit song with the title ‘Budapest’, dedicated to the Hungarian capital city?
Which country has the most islands in the world?
We think you’d like: 100 Capital Cities Quiz Questions and Answers
Europe Travel Quiz Round Answers
- London, England
- George Ezra
Interesting fact: Sweden has an estimated total of 221,800 islands and a population of 10 million people. That would mean that there’s a density of only 45 people per island!
Asia Travel Quiz Questions
Whether it’s obscure facts about China or the easy questions about capital cities, test their knowledge with one of these travel quiz questions and answers about Asia.
1. In which country would you find the Luzon islands?
2. In which country would you find the Taj Mahal?
3. In which mountain range would you find Mount Everest?
4. What is Annapurna?
5. What is the capital of Vietnam?
6. What is the currency of Myanmar?
7. What is the national animal of Thailand?
8. What is the world’s biggest port, based on volume of cargo?
9. Which is the largest city in Asia by area?
10. The Komodo National Park is famous for its Komodo Dragons. In which country would you find the Park?
Asia Travel Quiz Answers
- The Philippines
- The Himalayas
- A mountain in the Himalayas
- The Thai (or Asian) elephant
North America Travel Quiz Questions
This round is great for those with specialist knowledge of the USA, Canada or Mexico. And, even if they don’t, hopefully they can swing an answer or two.
1. Which country has the longest coastline in the world?
2. Which Canadian city is home to the ice hockey team the Maple Leafs?
3. Which is the oldest and largest national park in the USA?
4. The Rio Grande forms part of the boundary between the US and which other country?
5. Which American state comes first alphabetically?
6. What is the official nickname of the state of Texas?
7. How many US states are prefixed by the word ‘New’?
8. What is the capital of Mexico?
9. What is the capital of the US state of Massachusetts?
10. How many white stripes are there on the United States of America flag?
North America Travel Quiz Answers
- The Lone Star State
- 4 (New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico and New York)
- Mexico City
Interesting fact: The stripes represent the original 13 Colonies and the stars represent the 50 states of the Union. The colours of the flag are symbolic as well; red symbolises hardiness and valour, white symbolizes purity and innocence, and blue represents vigilance, perseverance and justice.
South America Travel Quiz Questions
Have your quizzers read up on the capital cities of South America, or know their Paraguay from their Peru? Test their mettle with these 10 great travel quiz questions and answers related to South America.
1. Which capital city has a name that translates as ‘Good Airs’ in English?
2. Angel Falls, the world’s highest waterfall, is located in which country?
3. Which Colombian city is notorious for being the centre of the cocaine smuggling business?
4. In which country would you find the town of Fray Bentos?
5. Name either of the two South American countries that have no coastline?
6. Which sea lies at the western end of the Panama canal?
7. In which country would you find Sugar Loaf Mountain?
8. In which South American country would you find Machu Picchu?
9. In which two countries would you find Patagonia?
10. Which is the biggest city in South America, by population size?
Recommended Reading: Our famous landmarks quiz
South America Travel Quiz Round Answers
- Buenos Aires
- Bolivia or Paraguay
- Argentina and Chile
- São Paulo, Brazil
Interesting fact: There are about 12 million people living in Sao Paulo with about 44 million in the state.
Africa Travel Quiz Questions
From the pyramids near Cairo to the mountain looming over coastal South African city, Cape Town, even the most avid traveller will find these questions a little tricky.
1. In which country would you find the town of Timbuktu?
2. In which country in Africa would you find the Skeleton Coast?
3. What land area is Africa as a percentage of the world’s land area? To the nearest ten.
4. The Victoria Falls waterfall lies on the border of which two African countries?
5. In which city would you find the famous island prison of Robben Island?
6. Which North African country uses the Dirham as its unit of currency?
7. Of which African country is Ouagadougou the capital?
8. In which African desert would you find the ‘bushmen’?
9. What is the world second largest fresh water lake? It borders Uganda, Tanzania and Kenya!
10. What is the only country in the world with an AK 47 assault rifle depicted on its national flag?
Africa Travel Quiz Round Answers
- 20% (well technically 22%)
- Zimbabwe and Zambia
- Cape Town, South Africa
- Burkina Faso
- The Kalahari
- Lake Victoria
Interesting fact: The rifle is meant to represent the struggle for independence, standing for vigilance and defence. It is one of four national flags of UN member states that features a firearm, alongside Bolivia, Guatemala and Haiti.
Australasia Travel Quiz Questions
Not sure how much your contestants know about the land ‘down under’, or nearby New Zealand and Papua New Guinea? Stretch their minds with this mix of easy and difficult geography quiz questions related to travel in Australasia.
1. The Great Barrier Reef is positioned off the coast of which Australian state?
2. Which two oceans can be found to the east and west of Australia?
3. What is the capital of New Zealand?
4. In which country would you find the Great Sandy Desert?
5. Which Australian island was discovered by Captain Cook in December 1777?
6. What is the capital of Papua New Guinea?
7. In which New Zealand town would you find the world’s first bungy jump?
8. What is the name of the world’s largest sand island, found in Australia?
9. What other name is Ayers Rock known as?
10. Where in the world would you find the world’s longest place name?
Read next: 100 of the best geography quiz questions and answers
Australasia Travel Quiz Round Answers
- Pacific and Indian
- Christmas Island
- Port Moresby
- Fraser Island
- New Zealand
Interesting fact: The 85 characters long Maori name for a hill in Hawke’s Bay is the longest place name found in any English-speaking country. It is, Taumatawhakatangihangaoauauotameteaturipukakapikimaungah-oronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu, which roughly translates as, “the place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as the land-eater, played his nose flute to his loved ones”.
We hope you’ve given you some inspiration for your epic travel quiz 2020, if not just some new places to visit on your next trip!
Feel free to share some more ideas for great trivia questions and answers in the comments below, or get in touch!
Want to save this for later? Why not pin it…