From Berlin to Bogota, Wellington to Warsaw, some of the easiest trivia rounds are themed around capital cities, those historic cities known the globe over. Essentially a geography quiz by another (albeit much fancier) name, we’ve put together this ultimate list of 100 capital cities quiz questions and answers, to help your run your at-home virtual (or real life) pub quiz.
More than your bog-standard list of ‘what is the capital of’ questions, try to test your family, friends and co-workers’ knowledge with lesser-known clues around rivers in capital cities, iconic landmarks and great geography trivia tricks.
Want to make this capital cities quiz a little more interesting? You could always get some images of the cities (and landmarks or buildings) covered and use them in a Picture Round.
Ready to travel around the globe? Let’s go.
European Capital Cities Quiz Questions
With some of the world’s most famous and well-known capital cities like London, Paris and Rome, it’s worth starting off with some easier questions around Europe’s main capitals. We’ve put together ten relatively easy quiz questions about capital cities in Europe:
1. In which country would you find the capital city of Sofia?
2. What is the capital city of Italy?
3. What 4 capital cities does the Danube river run through?
4. What is the capital city of Poland?
5. What capital city would you be in if you were on a boat on the Seine river?
6. What is the capital city of Spain?
7. In what capital city would you find the Acropolis?
8. What green vegetable shares its name with a European capital city?
9. What is the capital city of Switzerland?
10. What is the capital city of Germany?
European Capital Cities Quiz Answers
- Vienna, Budapest, Bratislava and Belgrade
US State Capitals Quiz Questions
Switching gears, it’s worth considering that ‘capital cities’ doesn’t necessarily mean ‘countries capitals’. In this cracking round of capital quiz questions, test your participants’ mettle over state capitals in the United States of America.
1. What is the capital of Texas?
2. What US state’s capital shares its name with a mythical bird?
3. Which US state capital hosted the 1996 Summer Olympics?
4. Which capital city in the USA is known as the birthplace of country music?
5. What is the capital of New York state?
6. Sharing the same name as a famous motor race (think 500), what is the capital city of Indiana?
7. Carson City is the capital of which US state?
8. Famous for the Mai Tai and Luau, what is the state capital of Hawaii?
9. What does the DC in Washington DC stand for?
10. Sharing its name with the fictional town in The Simpsons, what is the capital city of Illinois?
Read next: The best travel trivia questions and answers
US State Capitals Quiz Round Answers
- Arizona (Phoenix)
- District of Columbia
Interesting fact: It’s often quoted that there is a Springfield in each of the 50 states, but that’s not quite true. There are actually only Springfields in 34 states. The most popular shared city, town or village name is Riverside, which is represented in all states bar Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana and Oklahoma.
Asian Capital Cities Quiz Questions
Good morning Vietnam! You covered Europe in an earlier round, so it’s worth throwing out some more difficult capital cities quiz questions and answers, all focussed on Asian capitals:
1. The city of Naypyidaw took over from Yangon as the capital of which country in 2006?
2. Vientiane is the capital city of which country?
3. What is the capital of Mongolia? Clue: it has 5 a’s!
4. If you find yourself in Jakarta, what country are you in?
5. What is the capital city of Vietnam?
6. Kathmandu is the capital and largest city of which mountainous country?
7. The Tigris runs through which capital city?
8. Malé is the capital city of which popular island nation?
9. Bishkek is the capital of which country?
10. What is the capital of India?
Recommended: Best South East Asia quiz questions and answers
Asian Capital Cities Quiz Answers
- Myanmar (Burma)
- The Maldives
- New Delhi
Easy Capital Cities Quiz Questions
Were some of the previous ones a little too hard for your audience? Lull them back into a false sense of quiz-induced security with these ten easy capital city quiz questions.
1. What is the capital of the United Kingdom?
2. Cairo is the capital of which country?
3. What is the capital of the USA?
4. What is the capital of Japan?
5. Known as the world’s windiest city, what is the capital of New Zealand?
6. Ottowa is the capital of which country?
7. What is the capital city of the United Arab Emirates?
8. Name the capital of Luxembourg
9. If you are looking at the Mona Lisa, what capital city are you in?
10. In what capital city would you find another country?
Easy Capital Cities Quiz Round Answers
- Washington DC
- Abu Dhabi
- Luxembourg City
- Rome (Vatican City)
Interesting fact: The Vatican City is the only example of a country being within the limits of a capital city! The tiny country, the headquarters of the Catholic Church, is the smallest country on earth, measuring only about 121 acres…
Hard Capital City Quiz Questions
To counter all those easy questions, it’s worth throwing out some fiendishly difficult capital cities trivia questions, so we’ve compiled this list of ten for you to use in your capital cities pub quiz round:
1. Name the capital of South Sudan.
2. Yamoussoukro is the capital of which country?
3. What is the name of the capital of Kazakhstan?
4. In which state is the Australian capital Canberra?
5. What is the capital of Turkey?
6. Name the capital of Morocco.
7. Sucre is the legislative capital of which country?
8. What royal sounding place is the capital of Haiti?
9. What country would you be in if you were in Sarajevo?
10. Nassau is the capital of which island nation?
Read next: Ultimate list of famous landmarks quiz questions
Hard Capital City Quiz Answers
- Ivory Coast (Côte d’Ivoire)
- New South Wales
- Port au Prince
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- The Bahamas
Americas Capital Cities Quiz Questions
Do you think your contestants know a bit about the Americas? Challenge them with these ten capital cities questions about the Americas, covering everything from Canada to Chile.
1. Bogota is the capital of which country?
2. Name the capital of Brazil.
3. What capital city can be translated as ‘good airs’?
4. Sharing its name with a shopping town in England, what’s the capital of Jamaica?
5. With a European country in its name, what is the capital of Trinidad and Tobago?
6. San Jose is the capital of which country?
7. What is the capital of Chile?
8. If you are in Montevideo, what country are you in?
9. What is the capital of Venezuela?
10. Lima is the capital of which country?
Americas Capital Cities Quiz Answers
- Buenos Aires
- Port of Spain
- Costa Rica
African Capital Cities Quiz Questions
From Cape Town to Cairo, Africa is a continent that is perhaps not as well-known to your contestants as others in this Capital Cities Quiz. Test their knowledge with these ten quiz questions about African capitals:
1. Name the 3 capital cities of South Africa.
2. What is the capital of Botswana?
3. Kinshasa is the capital of which country?
4. If you were travelling in the same country from its capital Bamako to Timbuktu where would you be?
5. Ouagadougou is the capital of which country?
6. Tripoli is the capital city of which North African country?
7. What country ‘s capital is Harare?
8. Famous for being in the film Blood Diamond with Leonardo di Caprio, Freetown is in which country?
9. Addis Ababa is the capital of which country?
10. What is the capital city of Kenya?
Recommended reading: 100 of the best geography quiz questions
African Capital Cities Quiz Round Answers
- Cape Town, Bloemfontein and Pretoria
- Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
- Burkina Faso
- Sierra Leone
Landmarks in Capital Cities Quiz Questions
Some of the world’s capital cities are famous because of their incredible landmarks and monuments – the Eiffel Tower in London, the Forbidden City in Beijing and the White House in Washington DC are just three that come to mind. Use landmarks in this round to test their capital cities knowledge. Hint: This would be a great round to do a capital city picture quiz!
1. The Colosseum is in which capital city?
2. If you were visiting Buckingham Palace, which capital city would you be in?
3. Wat Pho and Wat Arun are two important temples in which Southeast Asian city?
4. The Great Sphinx is located near which capital city?
5. What city is famous for its wall that was knocked down in 1989?
6. The Petronas Twin Towers are located in which Asian capital city?
7. The Atomium is a famous landmark in which European city?
8. If you are trying to navigate around the 12 lane Arc De Triomphe roundabout, where are you?
9. Fisherman’s Bastion, a turreted fortress, is a landmark in which capital city?
10. If you are praying at the Wailing Wall, what capital city are you in?
Related article: 100 great food trivia questions and answers
Landmarks in Capital Cities Quiz Answers
- Kuala Lumpur
Interesting fact: Most people believe that the Wailing Wall got its name from the millions of Jews crying over the destruction of the holy Second Temple. However, it’s actually since the Wall gets covered in small water drops, akin to tears. Scientists haven’t been able to explain the phenomenon.
Famous Squares in Capital Cities Quiz Questions
Struggling to find ideas for more rounds? What about looking at the squares and courtyards in capital cities made famous by the events that happened within them.
1. Fontana del Moro, Fountain of Neptune and the Fountain of the Four Rivers is in the middle of which square in Rome?
2. In which capital city would you find the largest square in the world?
3. The UNESCO World Heritage site of Grand Place is a square in which European capital city?
4. In which square would you find Nelson’s column?
5. Used since the times of the Aztec, Zocalo Square is found in which city?
6. What is the name of the square in Prague that features the oldest astronomical clock in the world?
7. Plaza Mayor is a famous tourist destination in which capital city?
8. The scene of the 1810 revolution, the Plaza de Mayo can be found in which country?
9. With the similar name to a supersonic jet, what is the full name of this famous square in Paris?
10. Flanked by the Kremlin and Lenin’s Mausoleum, what is the name of the most famous square in Moscow?
Famous Squares in Capital Cities Quiz Answers
- Piazza Novana
- Beijing (Tiananmen Square)
- Trafalgar Square
- Mexico City
- Old Town Square
- Place de la Concorde
- The Red Square
Rivers in Capital Cities Quiz Questions
Last, but definitely not least, is a closing round dedicated to the pinnacle of sporting glory: the Olympics. From marvellous medal tallies to questions on the world’s finest athletes, complete your quiz in style with these ten Olympic-themed questions:
1. What capital city does the Dnieper run through?
2. The Mekong river flows through which 2 Southeast Asian capitals?
3. Which river runs through Belgrade, Llubjana and Zagreb?
4. Which river has the longest river walk in Europe? Hint: it’s 184 miles long and runs through a major capital.
5. The longest river in the world, the Nile, runs through which two African capitals?
6. The Rio de la Plata river flows through 2 South American capitals – name them.
7. The Bouquinistes, famous book sellers, are on the banks of which Paris river?
8. The Yongding and Chaobai rivers run through which capital city?
9. If you were on a boat on the Chao Phraya, which capital city would you be in?
10. Sharing a name with a popular beer, what is the name of the river that flows through Amsterdam?
Rivers in Capital Cities Quiz Answers
- Vientiane (Laos) and Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
- River Thames
- Cairo (Egypt) and Khartoum (Sudan)
- Buenos Aires (Argentina) and Montevideo (Uruguay)
- The Seine
Interesting fact: Amstel beer got its name from the river that the brewery was positioned on, which opened in June 1870. The river was actually used as a refrigeration source, to keep the beers cold.
So, how did your contestants do? We hope they raced through this awesome capital city quiz and answers, and got some great results.
Did we miss any key questions off the list? Please do get in touch or just drop a note in the comments below!
Want to save this for later? Why not pin it…