From France’s Eiffel Tower to China’s Forbidden City, this planet of ours is almost littered with iconic landmarks; all the epic monuments and world-famous places that top everyone’s travel bucket list. But, how much do you know about them? And would it stand the ultimate test? If you’re looking to run your own quiz night (virtual or otherwise), we’ve put together 100 fantastic famous landmarks quiz questions and answers.
Use these ten rounds of ten free quiz questions to quiz your friends, family or even colleagues. And, what’s more, you could deliver this at a ‘real’ pub quiz, or just in your virtual quiz night, held on platforms like Skype, Zoom or House Party.
Want to help your participants along? You could always get a few free photos and create a presentation, to give them some visual aids and make it a famous landmarks picture quiz!
Ready to meander around the world through its monuments? Let’s get your trivia quiz night started!
Easy Famous Landmarks Quiz Questions and Answers
It’s always worth kickstarting a quiz with a slightly simple round. So we’ve put together ten easy quiz questions and answers, all related to some of the world’s most well-known monuments:
1. Name the mausoleum in Agra that is one of the most famous landmarks in India.
2. What is the tallest mountain on earth?
3. The Eiffel Tower can be found in which European capital city?
4. Queen Elizabeth’s main London residence is in what famous landmark?
5. The Statue of Liberty was a gift to America from which country?
6. In which country would you find the last standing original 7 Wonders of the World, the Great Pyramid of Giza?
7. Christ the Redeemer is a statue which looks over which city?
8. What landmark in Rome was said to have seated more than 50,000 fans, all vying for blood?
9. What famous landmark has a length of approximately 21,000km and meets the Bohai Sea at the Shanhai Pass?
10. In which country would you find Chichen Itza?
Recommended: Our favourite fun quiz questions
Easy Famous Landmarks Quiz Round – Answers
- Taj Mahal
- Mount Everest
- Buckingham Palace
- Rio de Janeiro
- The Colosseum
- The Great Wall of China
World Famous Landmarks Quiz Questions and Answers
Sticking with the trend of global renown, keep ‘em guessing with this round focussed on some of the planet’s most popular landmarks. Whether it’s the iconic Hollywood sign or the rediscovered temple of Angkor Wat in captivating Cambodia, here are ten questions about famous landmarks from around the world:
1. What temple complex outside Siem Reap is also represented on the national flag of the country you would find it in?
2. What is the name of the huge palace complex in Beijing which used to be home to the Emperor of China?
3. What is the name of the rectangular park in New York that is a famous landmark?
4. What iconic bridge is located next to the Tower of London?
5. The Nazca Lines are in which country?
6. What is the name of the Benedictine Monastery in Normandy, built in the 8th century and sits in a bay of the same name?
7. The Bund is a landmark in which city?
8. The Great Sphinx sits guard over what other famous landmarks?
9. In what country would you find the Wadi Rum?
10. A famous suburb in Los Angeles, what is the name of the giant sign that spells out this area?
Need more questions? Try our Capital Cities Trivia Questions and Answers
World Famous Landmarks Quiz Round Answers
- Angkor Wat
- The Forbidden City
- Central Park
- Tower Bridge
- Mont Saint-Michel
- The Pyramids
Did you know? The Hollywood sign was originally put up as a way to improve property sales of the housing development above the Hollywood district… so people knew where it was. And it actually spelled out Hollywoodland!
Landmarks in Africa Quiz Questions and Answers
Done with the general knowledge? Get your participants to dive a little deeper into the continents, starting with Africa. With many a natural landmark worthy of mention, let’s see how they do in naming some of the most popular landmarks in Africa.
1. What waterfall on the Zambezi River makes up part of the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia?
2. What is the name of the largest hot desert in the world?
3. Kilimanjaro is located in which country?
4. One of the most famous landmarks in Africa, the Great Mosque of Djenne is found in which country?
5. What is the name of the mountain that watches over Cape Town?
6. Zuma Rock is a natural landmark just outside Abuja, but what country is it in?
7. What is the name of the longest river in the world?
8. Which valley, and famous landmark, is home to 63 tombs, most notably that of Tutankhamun?
9. What is the name of the island on which Nelson Mandela was prisoner for 18 of his 27 years behind bars?
10. The second largest canyon in the world, and largest in Africa is Namibia’s most famous landmark, but what is its name?
Next round for your quiz… The best sports trivia questions and answers
Landmarks in Africa Quiz Round Answers
- Victoria Falls
- The Sahara
- Table Mountain
- The Nile
- Valley of the Kings
- Robben Island
- Fish River Canyon
Landmarks in Europe Quiz Questions and Answers
Jumping from Senegal to Switzerland, it’s Europe’s turn in this epic famous landmark quiz questions and answers rundown. From geographical landmarks in Italy to the more obscure questions on Icelandic waterfalls, here are ten of the best famous landmarks quiz questions and answers about Europe:
1. La Sagrada Familia is a famous landmark of Spain. In which city is it located?
2. What is the name of the castle that inspired Walt Disney to create Cinderella’s Castle in the 1950 movie?
3. The Matterhorn is a famous landmark located in which country?
4. In which landmark would you find the Mona Lisa?
5. Pulpit Rock is an amazing sight, above the Fjords of which country?
6. Gulfoss is the most famous landmark and waterfall in which country?
7. Which German landmark was pulled down, to scenes of mass celebration, in November 1991?
8. What famous bridge, with a male name, spans the Vtlava River in Prague?
9. The Acropolis is located in which capital city?
10. Michelangelo famously painted the ceiling of which European landmark?
More great questions: 100 epic music quiz questions and answers
Landmarks in Europe Quiz Round Answers
- Neuschwanstein Castle
- La Louvre
- The Berlin Wall
- Charles Bridge
- Sistine Chapel
Interesting fact: The Sistine Chapel is not only a hugely famous landmark and popular tourist attraction, it is also the private chapel of the Pope!
Landmarks in the UK Quiz Questions and Answers
Do your contestants know anything about natural landmarks in the UK, or some of Britain’s most beautiful buildings? Test that assumption with this cracking round of ten questions about UK landmarks:
1. What exactly is the landmark Big Ben?
2. The Angel of the North is a landmark designed by which famous artist?
3. Name the area of around 40,000 basalt columns, created by a volcanic eruption in County Antrim.
4. What is the name of the tallest building (as of 2020) in London?
5. Which Emperor created the wall that runs across England to separate the Romans from the barbarians?
6. Durdle Door is a natural limestone arch in which English county?
7. The Millennium Wheel is better known as what?
8. What landmark in Lancashire was inspired by the Eiffel Tower?
9. What is the name of the UK’s tallest peak?
10. Stonehenge can be found in which English county?
Landmarks in the UK Quiz Round Answers
- The nickname of the Great Bell in the Clock Tower, now called the Elizabeth Tower
- Anthony Gormley
- Giant’s Causeway
- The Shard
- The London Eye
- Blackpool Tower
- Ben Nevis
US Landmarks Quiz Questions and Answers
From one United to another, this round is focussed all on the good ol’ United States of America, where you’ll ask your participants to name a famous landmark (or ten) from the USA:
1. The Half Dome and El Capitan are landmarks within which National Park?
2. Over millions of years, the Colorado River has formed what enormous landmark in the US state of Arizona?
3. The Golden Gate Bridge is a landmark found in which United States city?
4. Once the tallest dam in the world, what is the name of the dam completed in Black Canyon in 1937?
5. Built for the 1962 World Fair in Seattle, what is the name of the futuristic looking building that dominates the city skyline?
6. The tallest building for almost 40 years when it was opened in 1931, the Empire State Building is found in which city?
7. Name the four US Presidents that make up the iconic Mount Rushmore landmark.
8. Name the former prison that was the key location for the film The Rock, starring Sean Connery, Nicolas Cage and Ed Harris.
9. Also known as ‘The Bean’ what is the name of the stunning silver sculpture and Chicago landmark, created by Sir Anish Kapoor?
10. Which National Park is the oldest in the USA, and is home to Old Faithful, a geyser?
Want more questions? 100 great food trivia questions and answers
USA Landmarks Quiz Round Answers
- The Grand Canyon
- San Francisco
- Hoover Dam
- Seattle Space Needle
- New York
- Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt, and Lincoln
- The Cloud Gate
Did you know? Not only is Yellowstone the oldest National Park in the United States, it is also believed to be the oldest anywhere in the world, having been granted the status by Ulysses S Grant in 1872.
South American Landmarks Quiz Questions and Answers
From the North to the South, this round takes you to the beautiful continent of South America. With iconic landmarks like Machu Picchu and the world’s highest waterfall nestled in the folds of Venezuela, the continent is full of beautiful sights, all perfect for a quiz on famous geographical landmarks!
1. What is the name given to the most southerly point in South America?
2. The Galapagos Islands were studied by which famous English Naturalist, who wrote the important works On the Origin of Species?
3. In which country would you find the highest waterfall in the world, Angel Falls?
4. What incredible natural landmark is often referred to as the ‘lungs of our planet’?
5. The driest place on earth in northern Chile is known as what desert?
6. In which country would you find the famous landmark Machu Picchu?
7. What is the name of the massive waterfall on the Brazil and Argentina border?
8. The highest navigable lake in the world, Lake Titicaca, has the border of which two countries running through it?
9. What island in the Pacific Ocean is better known for its huge stone statues?
10. Salar de Uyuni is the world’s largest what?
Why not try out some of these Animal Quiz Questions…
South American Landmarks Quiz Round Answers
- Cape Horn
- Charles Darwin
- Amazon Rainforest
- The Atacama
- Iguazu Falls
- Peru and Bolivia
- Easter Island
- Salt flat
Landmarks in Asia Quiz Questions and Answers
Need a few more free trivia questions? Why not use this round all about Asia’s awesome structures? Whether it’s Thai temples or Singaporean Supertrees, we’ve put together ten brilliant famous landmark quiz questions about Asia:
1. Name the area in China which was the inspiration for James Cameron’s Hallelujah Mountains in his blockbuster film Avatar?
2. The White Temple, Blue Temple and Black House are all important landmarks in which Thai city?
3. Where would you find the largest square in the world? It is flanked by a palace and important museums.
4. If you were climbing up the Petronas Towers, in which city would you be?
5. Nicknamed the T-Rex because of its shape, and having recent Instagram stardom, what is the name of the landmark on Nusa Penida in Indonesia?
6. In which city would you find the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum?
7. Singapore is littered with stunning landmarks, but what is the name of the landmark in which the Supertree Grove and Cloud Forest both can be found?
8. What volcano is also the highest mountain in Japan?
9. The Terracotta Warriors are a major landmark near which Chinese city, which is often touted as the start (or end) of the Silk Road?
10. What is the name of the Rock Fortress, not far from the Dambulla Caves in Sri Lanka?
Read next: All the best South East Asia Quiz Questions
Landmarks in Asia Quiz Round Answers
- Zhangjiajie (or Wulingyuan Scenic Area)
- Chiang Rai
- Beijing (Tiananmen Square)
- Kuala Lumpur
- Kelingking Beach
- Gardens by the Bay
- Mount Fuji
No way! Sigiriya Rock Fortress is considered one of the oldest tourist attractions in the world, and has been welcoming visitors for more than a thousand years…
Middle East Landmarks Quiz Questions and Answers
It’s the region known for making its mark in the record books: the Middle East. Boasting the world’s tallest building and some of the globe’s most Instagrammable spots, this penultimate landmarks quiz round is all focussed on landmarks in the Middle East.
1. Opened in 2010, which building became the tallest in the world, at an astonishing 829.8m?
2. The amazing landmark of Petra, where stunning buildings have been carved into the rock, is in which Middle East country?
3. The Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia can be found in which city, formerly known as Constantinople?
4. Mecca can be found in which country?
5. The UNESCO World Heritage site of Naqsh-e Jahan Square is located in which country?
6. In what country would you be if you were looking at the Tower of David?
7. What is the name of the UNESCO World Heritage ruins that were badly damaged by ISIS, that can be found to the east of Homs?
8. What is the name of the town in Turkey made famous by Instagram for stunning rooftop photos filled with hot air balloons?
9. Famous for its high salt content that allows you to float, the Dead Sea has shores on which two countries?
10. Dome of the Rock, located on Temple Mount can be found in which city?
We think you’d like: The ultimate travel quiz questions and answers
Middle East Landmarks Quiz Round Answers
- Burj Khalifa
- Saudi Arabia
- Israel & Jordan
Landmarks in Oceania Quiz Questions and Answers
Last, but definitely not least, we move further afield to the lands of Hobbits and harbours, to the region that is home to the world’s largest living organism, Oceania!
1. Named after the home of an insect, what is the name of the building that houses the Executive Wing of the New Zealand parliament in Wellington?
2. Jorn Utzon designed the winning entry of an international design competition – what was the famous landmark that was built on that design?
3. What is the famous landmark Uluru also known as?
4. What is the name of the highest peak in New Zealand?
5. With a famous National Day in New Zealand named after this town, and where the treaty was signed between the Maori and European settlers, what is the name of the famous landmark?
6. Able to be seen from space, and the world’s largest living organism, what is the name to the region off the coast of Queensland?
7. Built on a farm on New Zealand’s North Island as a filming location, which now very famous tourist destination includes the Green Dragon Pub?
8. Part of the Great Ocean Road, what is the name of the landmark given to the craggy limestone rock formations, of which there are only now 7 left?
9. The tallest building in the southern hemisphere at 328m tall (as of 2020), what is the name of this major Auckland landmark?
10. What Australian landmark is nicknamed ‘The Coat Hanger’?
Recommended Reading: All the ultimate arts and literature quiz questions
Landmarks in Oceania Quiz Round Answers
- The Beehive
- The Sydney Opera House
- Ayers Rock
- Mt Cook
- The Great Barrier Reef
- The Twelve Apostles
- The Sky Tower
- Sydney Harbour Bridge
We hope your quiz crew loved this list of landmarks quiz questions and answers, and it provides a bit of fun for friends, family or whoever you managed to rope in.
Did we miss anything off this list? Did you spot any errors? We’d love to hear your feedback on our quizzes, so do get in touch or just drop a note in the comments below!
Want to save this for later? Why not pin it…