From Malaysia to Myanmar and everywhere in between, Southeast Asia is a fascinating place, full of incredible history and its fair share of fun facts! So, if you’re looking to set up an online trivia night with friends and family, or running a pub quiz, you should definitely dedicate some sections to Southeast Asia quiz questions and answers!
To help you on your way, we’ve put together this ultimate list of Southeast Asia trivia questions, with a handy mix of easy, medium and difficult. Plus, because we’re geography geeks that way, we’ve sprinkled in a few interesting facts, so your contestants can learn a thing or two.
Ready to play? Check out the Asian country-themed sections below and use them to create your epic quiz. Or, think about spicing it up with a Picture Round – some of these questions could be paired with a photo of the country or landmark in question, or you could use a Southeast Asia map to get them to pick out the capital cities.
Southeast Asia General Travel Quiz Questions
While we’ve broken this quiz up into the country rounds, get those quiz juices flowing with a more general round to start, covering general knowledge on the Southeast Asia region. Here are ten cracking trivia questions and answers for you to kick off your quiz:
1. Which Southeast Asia country is landlocked?
2. What country in Southeast Asia is the largest, by land size?
3. Which country in Southeast Asia is the smallest, by land size?
4. In which country will you find the famous islands of Coron, El Nido, Siargao and Boracay?
5. Which country borders China, Thailand, India, Laos and Bangladesh?
6. What is the longest river in Southeast Asia?
7. In which country is the largest lake in Southeast Asia?
8. What is the largest island in Southeast Asia?
9. Name the nations that share the island of Borneo?
10. What is the largest city in Southeast Asia?
Read next: The best travel trivia questions and answers
Southeast Asia General Travel Quiz Answers
- The Philippines
- Myanmar (Burma)
- The Mekong
- Cambodia (it’s the Tonle Sap)
- Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei
Indonesia Travel Quiz Questions
Home to the world’s largest lizard. Made up of 18, 307 islands. And boasting 139 volcanoes. It can only be Indonesia, the country now more synonymous with Instagram swings and smoothie bowls. We’ve put together ten great questions (and answers) about Indonesia for a great second round:
1. Which country declared itself independent from Portugal in 1975, only to be invaded by neighbouring Indonesia just 9 days later?
2. The world’s largest lizard, shares the name with its home island. What is that name?
3. What is the name of Indonesia’s currency?
4. Indonesia is dissected by which imaginary line?
5. What are the colours of the Indonesian flag?
6. What is the main religion practised in Indonesia?
7. Indonesia’s capital of Jakarta is located on which island?
8. Which volcano, said to have produced the loudest noise known to man, erupted in 1883?
9. Indonesia’s bad-smelling Rafflesia Arnoldii is the world’s largest what?
10. What animal whose name means ‘man of the forest’ is only found on Borneo and Sumatra?
Indonesia Travel Quiz Round Answers
- East Timor (Timor-Leste)
- The Rupiah
- The equator
- Red and white
- The Orang-Utan
Interesting fact: Orang-utans have crazy long arms! They have an arm span of about 2.2 m (over 7 ft), and only stand around 1.5m tall. Their arms are so long that they reach their ankles when standing.
Thailand Quiz Questions
The land of a thousand temples, and many a visitor’s first notch on their Southeast Asia belt, Thailand is full of surprises. With that in mind, we’ve found ten interesting questions about the Land of Smiles, for your quizzers to complete:
1. What is the Thai currency called?
2. What is the name of the capital of Thailand?
3. What was the former name of Thailand?
4. Name the famous film starring Leonardo di Caprio that was filmed on Koh Phi Phi?
5. What is the name of the largest island in Thailand?
6. Which 4 countries border Thailand?
7. What is the name of the infamous drug smuggling area in northern Thailand, where the country borders both Laos and Myanmar?
8. The White Temple, Blue Temple and Black House are all famous landmarks in which Thai city?
9. The festival of Songkran celebrates what occasion each April in Thailand?
10. The landmarks of Wat Arun, Wat Pho and Wat Phra Kaew are found in which city?
Need more questions? 100 of the best capital cities quiz questions and answers
Thailand Quiz Round Answers
- Thai Baht
- The Beach
- Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia
- The Golden Triangle
- Chiang Rai
- Thai New Years
Vietnam Quiz Questions
The land of a million motorbikes, of steaming bowls of pho and many a beautiful town, Vietnam has a lot to offer anyone that crosses its borders. But, how much do your contestants know about this S-shaped land? Test their knowledge with ten of the best quiz questions and answers about Vietnam:
1. What is the capital of Vietnam?
2. Which US Senator was shot down and spent 5 years in captivity in Vietnam during the Vietnam War?
3. Which countries share a border with Vietnam?
4. What is the currency of Vietnam?
5. What was the former name of Ho Chi Minh City?
6. What emblem is on the Vietnam flag?
7. The Vietnam War ended in what year?
8. What is the name of the delta that flows into the South China Sea south of Ho Chi Minh City?
9. Located around halfway down the country, and home to the Imperial City, what is the name of the former capital of Vietnam?
10. Of which type of nuts is Vietnam the world’s largest exporter?
Vietnam Quiz Round Answers
- John McCain
- Cambodia, Laos and China
- A star
- The Mekong Delta
Interesting fact: Vietnam is the largest exporter of cashew nuts and black pepper in the world producing a third of global production.
Cambodia Quiz Questions
Cambodia is about more than just Angkor Wat and the temples surrounding Siem Reap. It’s got heaps of history to explore, making it rich territory for a quiz of course! With that in mind, we’ve selected ten great Cambodia trivia questions for your round:
1. What is the capital of Cambodia?
2. The Khmer Rouge were led by which prominent figure?
3. Near what city is the ancient temple complex of Angkor Wat?
4. Which countries border Cambodia?
5. What is the name of the largest lake in Cambodia?
6. Which landmark is on the Cambodian Flag?
7. Choeung Ek, the site of a mass grave of victims of the Khmer Rouge – killed between 1975 and 1979 – is also known as what?
8. What is the name of the book by Loung Ung, which was made into a Netflix film directed by Angelina Jolie, documenting her life during the Khmer Rouge regime?
9. What are the two main colours of the Cambodian flag?
10. What are the two main currencies used in Cambodia?
Recommended Reading: Ultimate Landmarks Quiz!
Cambodia Quiz Round Answer
- Phnom Penh
- Pol Pot
- Siem Reap
- Thailand, Vietnam and Laos
- Tonle Sap
- Angkor Wat
- The Killing Fields
- First, they killed my father
- Red and Blue
- US Dollar and Cambodian Riel
Malaysia Quiz Questions
From captivating Kuala Lumpur in the south, all the way up the length of Malaysia and into Borneo, the country has its own secrets to share. We explore a few of them in the ultimate list of ten Malaysia quiz questions and answers below:
1. What is the currency of Malaysia?
2. Name the capital of Malaysia.
3. Which countries share a border with Malaysia?
4. Sabah and Sarawak are Malaysian states on which island?
5. Carrying around 25% of the world’s traded goods, which strait is the busiest in the world?
6. What is the name of the tallest mountain in Malaysia?
7. What is the name of the island, formerly called the Prince of Wales island, connected to the Malaysian mainland by 2 bridges and with a famous street art scene in George Town?
8. Which famous shoe designer was born in Penang, Malaysia?
9. What is the main ingredient in Malaysia’s national dish, Nasi Lemak?
10. In what city would you find the Batu Caves and the Petronas Twin Towers?
Malaysia Quiz Round Answers
- The Ringgit
- Kuala Lumpur
- Brunei, Indonesia and Thailand
- Melaka (Malacca) Strait
- Mount Kinabalu
- Jimmy Choo
- Kuala Lumpur
Interesting fact: French climber, Alain ‘Spider-man’ Robert made it to the top of one of the Petronas Towers in 2009, using no safety equipment. The journey up the country’s tallest building took him around 2 hours.
Laos Quiz Questions
Filled with fabulous French architecture, magnificent mountains and many a monastery, Laos is one of the lesser-visited countries in Southeast Asia but still particularly special. In case you don’t know much about this hidden gem, we’ve found ten awesome trivia questions for your Laos quiz round:
1. What is the capital of Laos?
2. What currency is used in Laos?
3. What countries border Laos?
4. What colours appear on the Laos flag?
5. Laos was a protectorate of which European country from 1893?
6. What is the name of the area where hundreds of stone jars are found scattered throughout the Xieng Khouang plain?
7. The Patuxai, a victory gate, similar to the Arc de Triomphe can be found in which city?
8. Wat Xieng Thong is a temple in which Laos city?
9. What is the main religion of Laos?
10. Also known as the 4,000 islands, the widest waterfall in the world is 10km wide – what is its name?
Laos Quiz Round Answers
- The Kip
- China, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Myanmar
- White, blue and red
- The Plain of Jars
- Luang Prabang
- Khone Falls (or Pha Pheng Falls)
The Philippines Quiz Questions
It’s the second largest archipelago in the world with about 7, 500 island, of which about 5, 000 don’t even have a name! The Philippines is a great country to include in a quiz, particularly if you’re focussing on Southeast Asia, as some of the answers are a little more obscure. Ready to tackle them? Here’s ten to start you off:
1. What is the capital of The Philippines?
2. The Philippines was named after King Philip II of which European country?
3. The Philippines is the world’s largest exporter of which tropical fruit?
4. What is the currency of the Philippines?
5. What is the predominant religion of the Philippines?
6. What are the colours of the Philippines flag?
7. San Fernando in the Philippines is known worldwide for its annual celebration of which Christian holiday?
8. On what Filipino island would you find the ‘Chocolate Hills’?
9. What is the most popular sport in the Philippines?
10. Which modern toy had its beginning as a Filipino hunting weapon, attached to a 20 foot rope?
Read next: 100 of the best geography quiz questions
The Philippines Quiz Round Answers
- The coconut
- Philippine Peso
- Blue, red, white and yellow
- The Yo-Yo
Interesting fact: The modern yo-yo was invented by a Filipino American, and its name yóyo comes from the Filipino language Ilocano and means “come back.”
Myanmar Quiz Questions
Last, but definitely not least, is another secret spot in Southeast Asia: Myanmar. From the bustling capital of Yangon to lesser-known places like Inle Lake, we’ve collected ten awesome questions about the country formerly known as Burma:
1. What is the former name of Myanmar?
2. Who ruled Myanmar until 1948?
3. Located in Mingun, the largest pile of bricks – also known as the incomplete stupa – Mingun Pahtodawgyi is nearest to which major Myanmar city?
4. What is the name of the longest river in Myanmar?
5. The largest 5 mountains in Southeast Asia are in Myanmar, but which range do they belong to?
6. The Shwedagon pagoda is located in which city?
7. What is the name of the Burmese city which is home to around 2,000 temples?
8. The traditional Myanmar breakfast of Mohingha is what type of dish?
9.What prize did Aung San Suu Kyi win in 1991?
10. What is the capital city of Myanmar?
Myanmar Quiz Round Answers
- United Kingdom
- Irrawaddy River
- Fish Curry
- Nobel Peace Prize
Interesting fact: Similar to Canberra in Australia, Naypyidaw is a purpose-built capital city and took over as the country’s capital from Yangon in 2006.
If you don’t inspire your contestants to head immediately to Southeast Asia, then you need to redo your quiz 😊. But, seriously, we hope this list of terrific trivia questions and answers informs but also inspires their wanderlust.
Feel free to share some more ideas for great quiz questions and answers in the comments below or get in touch!
Want to save this for later? Why not pin it…