From almost humble beginnings back in 1965, when it was still known as the European Champion Club’s Cup, the UEFA Champions League (UCL) has captured the heart of the European continent’s most fervent football fans. Pitting some of the region’s best clubs against each other, all vying for that coveted crown, it’s not just the source of many soccer stars, but heaps of trivia too. Making it perfect fodder for a footballing quiz, as we’ve tried to deliver here with 100 of the best Champions League quiz questions and answers!
Boot these questions over to your players – whether friends, family or even colleagues – in a real-life or virtual quiz, and see how they do on their UCL knowledge!
Ready to kick off? Get your players out onto the proverbial trivia pitch:
General Knowledge Champions League Quiz Questions
We always like to start a quiz night with a more general round and this Champions League pub quiz is no different. Test their football trivia mettle with these ten general knowledge questions about Europe’s favourite contest:
1. Which were the first two teams from the same European football league to contest a European or Champions League final?
2. Who was the first Brit to win the Champions League?
3. Who were the first team to win the Champions League the year after winning the UEFA Cup/ Europa League?
4. What links Marcel Desailly, Paolo Sousa, Gerard Pique, and Samuel Eto’o?
5. Which were the first three teams to win the Champions League without ever having won the European Cup?
6. Which player had 13 years between his two Champions League wins, in 1995 and 2008?
7. Which legendary Hungarian won three European Cups with Real Madrid in 1959, 1960 and 1966?
8. What links Real Madrid (in 1966), Celtic (in 1967) and Steaua Bucharest (in 1986)?
9. Who was the first player to win the Champions League with three different clubs?
10. Who were the first team to have won the tournament without being champions of their domestic league?
Read next: Our ultimate fun quiz questions and answers
General Knowledge Champions League Quiz Answers
- Real Madrid and Valencia, in 2000
- Paul Lambert with Borussia Dortmund, in 1997
- Porto (2002/03 and then 2003/04)
- They won successive Champions Leagues with different teams: Desailly (Marseilles and AC Milan), Sousa (Juventus and Dortmund), Pique (Man Utd and Barcelona), Eto’o (Barcelona and Inter Milan)
- Marseille, Borussia Dortmund and Chelsea
- Edwin van der Sar, with Juventus and then Manchester United
- Ferenc Puskás
- They all won the European Cup fielding only local players.
- Clarence Seedorf, with Ajax in 1995, Real Madrid in 1998, and with AC Milan in 2003 and 2007
- Nottingham Forest. Forest won the English League in 1978 before winning the European Cup in 1979 and defending it in 1980. They did not win the English League in 1979.
Did you know? Forest are the only club to have won the European Cup more times (twice) than they have won their domestic league (once). Manchester United, in 1999, were the first team to have won the tournament having won neither their domestic league nor the European Cup / Champions League the previous season. Liverpool’s 2019 triumph came 29 years after their previous domestic league title.
Winners & Finalists of the Champions League Quiz Questions
From powerhouse Real Madrid to relative ‘minnows’ (when it comes to the UCL that is), Roma, this round is dedicated to those coming up tops (and bottoms) of the sporting feast. Test how good your contestants’ knowledge is in this Champions League ‘winners’ quiz, with a few ‘losers’ thrown in for good measure.
1. Who were the first team to win the European Cup, in 1956?
2. Who were the first Italian team to win the European Cup?
3. Having won back to back titles in the 1960s, which team lost the next five finals in which they played?
4. Which club was Champions League runner up five times in the first twenty-five years of the competition?
5. Which was the first English men’s team to win the European Cup?
6. Which was the first English women’s team to win the Champions League?
7. Which was the first English team to win the European Cup/Champions League twice?
8. As of 2020, which country had the greatest number of different winners?
9. Which was the first team from Eastern Europe to win the European Cup?
10. Never European Cup winners, which were the first Italian team to reach the final?
Winners & Finalists of the Champions League Quiz Answers
- Real Madrid. They won it the first five years.
- AC Milan
- Benfica (1963, 1965, 1968, 1988 and 1990)
- Manchester United, at Wembley in 1968.
- Liverpool, in 1977 and 1978
- England, with five
- Steaua Bucharest
Captains of European Cup and Champions League Winning Sides Questions
While they aren’t all strikers with golden boots, the captains of the UCL winning sides have had a huge impact on the teams that lift the trophy. So, for this round, we look at interesting trivia about football captains in the many decades that the competition has run.
1. Who was the first player to captain their team to three victories in the top European trophy?
2. Ajax won the European cup three years in a row in the early seventies, with three different captains. Name any of them…
3. Which goalkeeper captained Barcelona to their European Cup, at Wembley in 1992?
4. Who was the first captain to score in a Champions League final? (Not including a penalty shoot out, though the goal was a penalty, but in normal time).
5. Who captained Manchester United to their first European Cup victory?
6. Nicknamed ‘El Tractor’, who lead Inter to their 2010 victory?
7. Which future Question of Sport captain wore the armband for Liverpool’s first two European Cup victories?
8. Who was the first Champions League (as opposed to European Cup) winning Captain?
9. Who are the first father-son combination to both captain their team to European Cup/ Champions League victory?
10. Roy Keane, Manchester United’s captain for the 1998/99 season, was suspended for the Champions League final. Who wore the armband for the Premier League team in his place?
Want more sports? Why not try some of our slightly tougher sports quiz questions
Captains of European Cup and Champions League Winning Sides Answers
- Franz Beckenbauer. Bayern Munich won it in 1974, 1975 and 1976.
- Velibor Vasović, Piet Keizer or Johan Cruyff
- Andoni Zubizarreta
- Steffan Effenberg
- Bobby Charlton, in 1968
- Javier Zanetti
- Emlyn Hughes
- Didier Deschamps, aged only 24
- Cesare Maldini (AC Milan, 1963) and Paolo Maldini (AC Milan, 2007).
- Peter Schmeichel, in his last game for the club.
No way! Remarkably, that season United lifted the trophy having won only five of their eleven games. However, they also did not lose any…
Champions League Goal Scorers Quiz Questions
Whether it’s with a bicycle kick or a cheeky chip, this round of ten Champions League quiz questions centres around those players who just know how to hoof it into the back of the net. Yup, it’s the all important goal scorers round!
1. Which Ivorian has 41 Champions League goals, including five for Marseille and five for Galatasaray?
2. Which Dutchman has 29 Champions League goals, scored for Deportivo de La Coruña and Bayern Munich (including one after just 10.12 seconds)?
3. Who scored 34 goals in 35 European Cup games?
4. Which Brazilian scored 30 Champions League goals – 25 for AC Milan and five for Real Madrid?
5. Who scored 25 Champions League goals for Parma, Lazio, Inter Milan, Chelsea and AC Milan?
6. Who made 89 Champions League appearances for Juventus, scoring 42 goals?
7. Who scored 46 goals in 81 games for Juventus and AC Milan?
8. Which player has scored 21 goals in 60 Champions League games for Bayern, Atlético Madrid and Juventus?
9. Who scored 35 European Cup goals in 41 games for Honvéd and Real Madrid?
10. Who scored 56 Champions League goals (excluding qualification games), eight of which were for PSV?
Recommended next quiz: The best history quiz questions and answers
Champions League Goal Scorers Quiz Answers
- Didier Drogba
- Roy Makaay
- Gerd Müller
- Hernan Crespo
- Alesandro del Piero
- Filippo Inzaghi
- Mario Mandžukić
- Ferenc Puskás
- Ruud van Nistelrooy
First Player from their Country to win the UEFA Champions League Quiz
The Spanish, the Italians and the Germans are definitely not in short supply when it comes to table-topping honours in the Champions League. But what about some of the more ‘obscure’ or smaller countries, or the international players in the line-up for these European giants?
Test your quizzers with 10 questions about UCL winners and their country of origin:
1. Which Serbian was the first from his country to win the Champions League, in 2008?
2. Who was the first Egyptian to win the Champions League?
3. Who was the first Costa Rican to win the Champions League?
4. Who, in 2010, became the first Colombian to win the Champions League?
5. Zvonomir Boban was the second Croat to win the Champions League. Which striker was the first?
6. Who was the first Finn to win the Champions League?
7. Which two players were the first Czechs to win the Champions League, one scoring a goal from open play and also in a penalty shoot out?
8. Who was the first Ghanaian to win the Champions League?
9. Two Nigerians won the Champions League in the same year in the mid 90’s. Who were they?
10. Who was the first player from the Ivory Coast to win the Champions League?
We think you’ll like: 100 Cricket Quiz Questions and Answers
First Player from their Country to win the UEFA Champions League Answers
- Nemanja Vidić of Manchester United
- Mohamed Salah, with Liverpool in 2019
- Keylor Navas, with Real Madrid in 2016
- Iván Córdoba
- Alen Bokšić. He scored six goals in that season’s competition.
- Jari Litmanen
- Milan Baroš and Vladimír Šmicer
- Marseille’s Abédi Pelé in 1993
- Finidi George and Nawankwo Kanu, for Ajax in 1995
- Yaya Toure, with Barcelona in 2009
Champions League Goal Scorers & Assist Makers Quiz Questions
This is a quiz of two halves and, since you’re still sticking with it, we wanted to throw another round of great goalscoring trivia at you (and your intrepid players of course). Here’s another ten cracking questions about the most famous goal scorers (and assist makers) in UCL history:
1. Who was the was the first man to score for six different clubs in the Champions League, including five teams who had previously won the tournament, but never won the competition himself?
2. Who scored four goals against Real Madrid in the first leg of the 2012/2013 semi-final?
3. Which Liverpool player set a new record for the number of assists in a campaign during the 2018 Champions League final?
4. Which Dortmund player chipped Angelo Peruzzi within 16 seconds of coming on as a substitute in a final?
5.Who was the first player to score in two Champions League final matches for the winning team?
6. Which Brazilian scored the winning goal for Barcelona against Arsenal in 2006?
7. On “that night in Barcelona” who scored a free kick for Bayern Munch?
8. Who scored two first half goals for AC Milan in the 2005 final?
9. Who were the first two Englishmen to score in a Champions League Final?
10. In the 2019 final, whose pass hit Moussa Sissoko’s arm to earn his team a penalty?
Why not try out this Entertainment Trivia Quiz?
Champions League Goal Scorers & Assist Makers Quiz Answers
- Zlatan Ibrahimović – The teams he scored for in the Champions League who had previously won it are Ajax, Barcelona, Milan and Juventus. Inter would win it the season after he left. He also scored for PSG. He never played for Manchester United in the Champions League. His first club, Malmö, were European Cup runners up in 1978/79.
- Robert Lewandowski
- James Milner
- Lars Ricken
- Raúl. He won the competition in 1998, 2000 and 2002, scoring in the latter two of those.
- Juliano Belletti
- Mario Basler
- Hernan Crespo
- Teddy Sheringham, in 1999 (for Manchester United), and Steve McManaman in 2000 (for Real Madrid)
- Sadio Mane’s. Though it may well be that he was aiming for the naively outstretched arm.
Champions League Managers Quiz Questions and Answers
We’ve covered the teams, and the captains, and the ‘glory boy’ goalscorers. But what about the coaching side? What about those inspirational managers whose names are forever etched in the record books, for their title-smashing performances in this league of legends?
Try out these ten great Champions League quiz questions about managers for size:
1. Who managed both Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich to Champions League titles?
2. Who famously did a knee-slide after Maniche scored at Old Trafford?
3. Three Argentinians were the first three managers from outside of Europe to reach a Champions League final. Name them.
4. Which manager set a record of 190 Champions League games managed?
5. Who won the European Cup / Champions League as a player twice with one team, once with another (as an elder statesman in a young team), and once more as a manager with a third?
6. Which nomadic coach won ‘La Decima’?
7. Which manager won the UEFA Cup (with a Spanish team) and the Champions League (with an English team) in consecutive seasons?
8. Which Romanian manager has managed Inter Milan (3 times), Galatasaray (26), Beşiktaş (6), Shakhtar Donetsk (68) between 1998 and 2016? He also won the UEFA Cup with Shaktar in 2009.
9. Which manager set a record for being the youngest coach to manage in a Champions League match with Hoffenheim (31 years, 58 days) and to win a Champions League match with RB Leipzig (32 years, 56 days).
10. Who was the first manager win the Champions League, the World Cup and the European Championship?
Want more questions? 100 of the best football quiz questions and answers
Champions League Managers Quiz Answers
- Ottmar Hitzfeld
- Jose Mourinho
- Héctor Cúper (2000 & 2001 with Valencia), Diego Simeone (2014 & 2016 with Atlético Madrid) and Mauricio Pochettino (2019 with Tottenham Hotspur).
- Sir Alex Ferguson
- Frank Rijkaard, who won it twice with Milan (1989 and 1990), with Ajax (in 1995) and with Barcelona (in 2006).
- Carlo Ancelotti managed Real Madrid to their tenth title. Teams he has managed include Parma, Juventus, Milan, Chelsea, PSG, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, and Napoli.
- Rafael Benitez (won the UEFA Cup in 2004 with Valencia and the Champions League in 2005 with Liverpool).
- Mircea Lucescu. Lucescu can speak seven languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, French and Russian as well as his native Romanian.
- Julian Nagelsmann
- Vicente del Bosque on the Champions League with Real Madrid in 2000 and 2002, the World Cup in 2010 and the European Championship in 2012 with Spain.
Champions League Stadiums Quiz Questions
From the Ataturk to the Arena AufSchalke or the Amsterdam ArenA, some of the globe’s most glittering stadia have played host to Champions League finals. But how much do your contestants know about these famous locations? Find out with these ten Champions League quiz questions about soccer stadiums:
1. Which club played at the Arnold Schwarzenegger Stadium?
2. Which stadium was the venue for Liverpool’s 1977 and 1984 triumphs?
3. What links Real Madrid in 1957, Inter Milan in 1965, Manchester United in 1968, Ajax in 1972, Liverpool in 1978 and Borussia Dortmund in 1997?
4. In November 2019, the TripAdvisor reviews of the stadiums of that season’s clubs were ranked. Which came top?
5. Who were the first English team to lose a European Cup/ Champions League final in England?
6. A study was done looking at games played behind closed doors in the Champions League between 2002/03 and 2019. In normal matches, the home team won 49.3% of the time. For matches behind closed doors, what was the most likely outcome: a home win, a draw or an away win?
7. Which was the first country to hold a Champions League final that had not, to that point, had one of its clubs reach even the group stage of the competition?
8. The UEFA Champions League anthem is played at the stadium before every game. Written by Tony Britten, it is an adaptation of which piece of Handel’s music?
9. At what ground did Real Madrid famously beat Eintracht Frankfurt 7-3 in 1960?
10. The 1985 European Cup final between Juventus and Liverpool was held at which stadium?
Keen on basketball, how about these 100 amazing questions on the NBA?
Champions League Stadiums Quiz Answers
- Sturm Graz
- The Olympic Stadium in Rome
- They all won the European Cup or Champions League on home soil. Real Madrid 2-0 Fiorentina (1957, Madrid), Inter Milan 1-0 Benfica (1965, Milan), Manchester United 4-1 Benfica (1968, Wembley), Ajax 2-0 Inter Milan (1972,Rotterdam), Liverpool 1-0 Club Brugge (1978, Wembley) and Borussia Dortmund 3-1 Juventus (1997, Munich)
- Liverpool’s Anfield stadium was first, with an average of 4.5 stars. Dortmund’s stadium was second and Juventus’s third.
- Manchester United, beaten by Barcelona at Wembley in 2011. They were also the first English team to win a European Cup in England, at Wembley in 1968.
- An away win – 42.1% of games ended with this result. (Echoes: what happens when football is played behind closed doors? Reade, Schreyer & Singleton, 2020)
- Wales. Real Madrid beat Juventus 4-1 at the Millennium Stadium in 2017
- Zadok the Priest
- Hampden Park
- Heysel Stadium, Brussels, Belgium
Horror at Heysel Stadium. A human stampede occurred when mostly Juventus fans, escaping from a breach by Liverpool fans, were pressed against a collapsing wall. There were 39 deaths and 600 injuries. It resulted in English clubs being banned from European competition for five years and Liverpool banned for six. Fourteen Liverpool fans found guilty of manslaughter and each sentenced to three years’ in prison.
Who Am I? Champions League Quiz Questions
It’s the penultimate round, and time to get some head scratching ‘who am I’ questions into the mix. Pass some of these over to your contestants, to see if they can guess the globally-renowned player from the description:
1. I set a record for Champions League appearances with 177, for Real Madrid and Porto. Who am I?
2. I set the record number of Champions League appearances for a single club, with 151. Who am I?
3. I have been sent off for all of Arsenal, Juventus and Inter Milan in the Champions League. Who am I?
4. I am the club who set a record for ten consecutive clean sheets, ending with Samuel Eto’o scoring in the 76th minute of a game on 17 May 2006. Which club am I?
5. I have 107 appearances between 1994-2013 with Manchester United, Real Madrid, Milan and PSG. Who am I?
6. I am the club, who incidentally had never won their domestic league, which lost to Real Madrid in the final having beaten Liverpool and Manchester United in the quarter and semi-finals. Which club am I?
7. I was European Cup top scorer in 1988/89 and the European Championship top scorer in 1988. Who am I?
8. I set a record as the youngest captain in the Champions League, leading Porto against Maccabi Tel Aviv in 2015–16, aged 18 years and 221 days. Who am I?
9. I became the first player to reach the Champions League quarter-finals with four separate clubs: Kaiserslautern, Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern and Chelsea. Munich and Chelsea. Who am I?
10. I am a specialist set piece taking defender who was joint top scorer in the 1993/94 competition. I also scored in a previous European Cup final. Who am I?
Need more football questions, then check out our English Football Quiz!
Who Am I? Champions League Quiz Answers
- Iker Casillas, with 150 for Real and 27 for Porto.
- Xavi, of Barcelona
- Patrick Vieira
- Arsenal. After not conceding for 995 minutes, Samuel Eto’o scored against them in the final.
- David Beckham
- Bayer Leverkusen lost to Real Madrid in the 2002 final.
- Marco van Basten
- Ruben Neves
- Michael Ballack
- Ronald Koeman
Difficult Champions League Quiz Questions and Answers
And just like that, it’s into the dying minutes of the game (or, extra time, depending on how long that previous round went for!). To really crown your UEFA Champions League quiz, lob in the most fiendish round we could find; these ten difficult Champions League trivia questions:
1. Who was the referee for the 1999 final?
2. Which was the first team to ever knock Real Madrid out of the European Cup?
3. Which goalkeeper was the first player to win European Cup winners’ medals with two different English clubs?
4. What links Andriy Shevchenko, Vladimir Jugovic, Didier Drogba and Cristiano Ronaldo?
5. Name the three future Bolton players to feature for Real Madrid in the 2000 final.
6. When Jens Lehmen was sent off in the 2006 final, who came on for Robert Pires as a replacement for him in goal?
7. The 1962 European Cup final pitted the clubs that won the two previous tournaments. Which clubs?
8. Two weeks prior to the all German Champions League final in 2013, which Dortmund player announced he would be going Bayern at the end of the season?
9. Who is the first player to win the Champions League with two different British clubs?
10. What do Ferenc Puskás, Zoltán Czibor, Gerd Muller, Mario Mandžukić and Zinedine Zidane have in common?
Next Trivia Round: Here are some of the best Science Quiz Questions.
Difficult Champions League Quiz Answers
- Pierluigi Collina
- Jimmy Rimmer, with Manchester United in 1968 (as an unused substitute) and Aston Villa in 1982.
- They have all scored the conclusive penalty in Champions League penalty shoot outs.
- Ivan Campo, Nicolas Anelka and Fernando Hierro
- Manuel Almunia
- Benfica (who beat Barcelona in 1961) and Real Madrid (who famously beat Eintracht Frankfurt 7-3 in 1960). Benfica won 5-3.
- Mario Götze. He got eight assists in that Champions League campaign but was injured for the match.
- Daniel Sturridge, with Chelsea and Liverpool – he was an unused substitute in the 2012 and 2019 finals.
- They all scored in a European Cup / Champions League final and in a World Cup final.
Did you know? Puskás scored four times for Real Madrid in the 7-3 win over Eintracht Frankfurt. He also opened the scoring in the 1954 World Cup Final despite having a fractured ankle.
Any howlers in there? Who just put in a shift? We hope your players enjoyed this Champions League quiz 2020, and are itching for more!
What did you think of the quiz? Are we missing any questions? Do let us know what you think by dropping us a comment below.
Want to save this for later? Why not pin it…