Can you tell a basset hound from a beagle? Know your poodle from your Pomeranian? No matter your knowledge of the canine kind, you might want to run a trivia or quiz night related to man’s best friend: the humble dog. With that in mind, we wanted to serve up an epic puppy-powered quiz; with over 100 of the best dog trivia questions and answers!
Gather round your friends, family or even your colleagues for a real-life pub quiz or a virtual trivia night run on Zoom, Skype or House Party.
Ready to run through the list of ‘paw-some’ dog questions and answers? Ready, set, woof!
Easy Dog Trivia Questions and Answers
Your players might think you’re barking mad for theming your quiz night around dogs, right? Ease them into it with this brilliant opening round, with 10 trivia questions about dogs:
1. Recognized as the experts in dog breeds in the United States. What does the AKC stand for?
2. What is the smallest recognized breed of dog?
3. Often found at a racetrack, what is the fastest breed of dog?
4. Alsatian is another name for what breed of dog?
5. The Labrador Retriever, or maybe better known as the adorable Lab comes primarily in three colors – what are these known as?
6. True or false, a dog’s sense of smell is 10,000 times stronger than a human’s?
7. What medium-sized working dog is easily recognised by its thick fur and piercing blue eyes, looks almost like a wolf, is famous for pulling sleds in wintry conditions and is very similar looking to the Alaskan Malamute?
8. A group of puppies is called a what?
9. A group of dogs is called a what?
10. What was the first animal to be domesticated?
Recommend Reading: 100 of the best animal quiz questions and answers
Easy Dog Trivia Answers
- American Kennel Club
- The Chihuahua
- German Shepherd
- Golden Lab (yellow), Chocolate Lab (brown) and Black Lab (black)
- (Siberian) Husky
- The dog
Random Dog Knowledge Quiz Questions
That first round of dog questions and answers too easy? Throw in a random round! In this round we’ve put together ten questions chosen randomly to test their dog general knowledge!
1. Why did Laika become famous in 1957?
2. What dog breed are famous for having a blue black tongue (sometimes called purple)?
3. What breed of dog was the sheriff’s dog Flash in The Dukes of Hazzard?
4. How old was the oldest dog ever recorded when he died?
5. According to the AKC, what is the most popular dog breed in America, having held the title since 1991?
6. In 2019, what became was the most popular breed in the UK, holding off strong competition from the Cockapoo?
7. How many teeth does a fully grown adult dog normally have?
8. How do dogs sweat?
9. Are dogs herbivores, omnivores or carnivores?
19. True or false, a Greyhound would beat a Cheetah in a long-distance race?
Try next: 100 easy general knowledge quiz questions and answers
Random Dog Knowledge Quiz Answers
- First animal to orbit the Earth (not the first dog in space though)
- Chow Chow
- Basset Hound
- 29. The record was held by Bluey who died in 1939.
- Labrador Retriever
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- Through sweat glands in their pads
No way! Greyhounds can apparently run at around 35mph over a distance of up to 7 miles… which is insanely far for that kind of speed. Cheetahs are the short track specialists, and would dominate for the first few hundred meters before being quickly overtaken by a greyhound.
Dog Breed Quiz Questions and Answers
Break out the dog breed trivia! Let’s see how much your contestants know about the origins of their favourite furry friends, by giving them these cryptic clues:
1. Often called a Frenchie, what is my real breed name?
2. Given a bit of a hard time for my fancy hairstyle, I am of French decent and come in 3 sizes, standard, miniature and toy – what breed am I?
3. Famous for being a decent guard dog, I was originally bred in Germany, what breed am I?
4. A curly haired lapdog, you can literally translate my name as ‘curly lap dog’ – what am I?
5. Bred to protect and hunt wolves, and originally from Eire, what am I?
6. Named after a stretch of Adriatic coast, a lot of my breed suffer from hearing loss – up to 15% of us, what am I?
7. Also known as the English Toy Spaniel, I got my name from my association with a monarch from the same country, what am I?
8. I have long white hair, am a toy dog and was favoured by both the ancient Greeks and Romans, what breed am I?
9. Developed as a fighting dog, my most recognizable feature is my long face, what dog am I?
10. A dog of German heritage, you may say I’m as comfortable in the ring as I am as a working dog, what am I?
Fancy trying out some sporting trivia? Why not try some of our easy sports quiz questions…
Dog Breed Quiz Answers
- French Bulldog
- Bichon Frise
- Irish Wolfhound
- King Charles Spaniel
- Bull Terrier
Famous Dog Trivia Questions
Throughout history there have been some really celebrated canines, whether in literature or just owned by celebrities and famous faces. Let’s delve into them with this cracking round of famous dog trivia questions and answers!
1. What type of dog is Queen Elizabeth II of England meant to love?
2. Sunny and Bo are the dogs of which former US President?
3. Balto was a hard-running dog that helped deliver much needed medicine to Nome in Alaska, but what type of dog was Balto?
4. What was the name of the dog that recovered the stolen World Cup trophy in 1966?
5. In a normal Monopoly set, what is the breed of dog featured as a token?
6. What is the name of the dog in the famous five series?
7. Which dog breed is considered sacred in China?
8. Cerberus, the three-headed dog, was tasked with guarding what?
9. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle writes about the Hounds of where?
10. In the last 100 years, who is the only US president not to have a dog while in the Oval Office?
Read next: The best history quiz questions and answers
Famous Dog Trivia Answers
- Barack Obama
- Scottish Terrier
- Entrance to Hades (the afterlife/underworld)
Cartoon Dog Quiz Questions and Answers
Dogs have been immortalized in drawings and paintings for centuries, but some of the most renowned depictions are definitely in cartoons. Check how much your contestants know about dogs in popular culture, and in these well-known cartoons:
1. What type of terrier is Snowy, the fictional dog from Tintin?
2. What is the name of the Beagle that first appeared in the comic strip Peanuts?
3. What breed of dog is Scooby-Doo?
4. What is the name of the Simpson’s pet dog?
5. Pluto is the pet dog of which famous Disney character?
6. Which white-haired German Shepherd believes he has super powers?
7. What is the name of the pet dog in Family Guy?
8. Which dog is the sidekick to the loveable Wallace?
9. Odie is the pet dog of which comic strip cat?
10. What relation is Scrappy-Doo to Scooby-Doo?
Need more movie trivia questions? Here are some easy movie trivia questions.
Cartoon Dog Quiz Answers
- Wire Fox Terrier
- Great Dane
- Santa’s Little Helper
- Mickey Mouse
- His nephew
Dog Movie Trivia Questions and Answers
Man’s best friend often takes centre stage on the silver screen. From Disney features to iconic films like Men in Black, we’ve searched far and wide to come up with this list of ten questions all about dogs in movies:
1. What type of dog breed was Lassie?
2. Named after a famous composer, which Saint Bernard had a string of successful movies (and TV show) between 1992 and 2014?
3. What type of dog is Marley from Marley and Me?
4. In 101 Dalmatians, what is the name of the fashion-obsessed character who wants the skins of 99 Dalmatian puppies for a new fur coat?
5. What was the name of the dog from the Wizard of Oz film?
6. Slinky, the dog from Toy Story, is based on what breed?
7. What was the name of the adorable pug, from the Men In Black film franchise?
8. What Dogue De Bordeaux, worked alongside Tom Hanks in the film Turner & ….?
9. Who found themselves trapped in a ‘glass case of emotion’ when they lost Baxter?
10. Daisy was killed as a puppy, which caused which character to go on a vengeful killing spree?
Want more questions? How about a round of Disney Trivia Questions with our ultimate 100 Disney Film Quiz Questions and Answers?
Dog Movie Trivia Answers
- Rough Collie
- Labrador Retriever
- Cruella de Vil
- Ron Burgundy from Anchorman (or Will Ferrell)
- John Wick (or Keanu Reeves)
Homeward Bound Dog Trivia Questions
It’s the ‘ulti-mutt’ dog quiz fused with a geography quiz – naming the nation from where the famous breed hails. From the Great Dane to the Dingo, your participants might be pondering for a few minutes, to figure out from which country each of these beautiful breeds is from:
1. From which country does the Great Dane breed come?
2. From which modern-day country does the Rhodesian Ridgeback originate?
3. From which country does the Chow Chow originate?
4. From which country does the Rottweiler come?
5. From which country does the Dingo come from?
6. From which country does the Alpine Dachsbracke originate?
7. From which country does the Jack Russel originate?
8. From which country does the Shiba Inu comes from?
9. From which country does the Golden Retriever originally comes from?
10. From which country does the Chihuahua come from?
Think you or your mates know their music trivia? Why not test yourself or them with these awesome music trivia questions.
Homeward Bound Dog Trivia Answers
What’s in a name? Chihuahua comes from the Mexican province of Chihuahua, so if you know your geography, then that one might have been easy…
Musical Dog Trivia Questions
From the cinema to the concert hall, just like dogs are great fodder for film scripts, so they’ve eked out a space in many a melody. Mix up this round by pairing it with music – just make a Spotify playlist with the songs in question, and play them as you shoot these great musical dog questions over to your quizzers!
1. Who sang Drop It Like It’s Hot and Gin and Juice?
2. Who let the dogs out?
3. Elvis famously sang about what type of dog?
4. Who sang that The dog days are over?
5. Which artist had a hit with Dogs of War?
6. Who felt Sick as a Dog?
7. Diamond Dogs was a hit for which super star?
8. Led Zeppelin had a what coloured dog?
9. Lobo sang about ‘Me And You And A Dog Named’ who?
10. How Much Is That Doggie In the Window? was made famous by who?
Did you know that Star Wars is owned by Disney? Find more great Disney questions in this list of 100 Disney quiz questions and answers!
Musical Dog Trivia Answers
- Snoop Dogg
- Baha Men
- Hound dog
- Florence and the Machine
- Pink Floyd
- David Bowie
- Patti Page
Funny Dog Quiz Questions
It’s the penultimate round of this epic dog trivia rundown, and we just had to add a bit of humour to the night, with ten ‘paw-sitively’ hilarious dog trivia questions! A bit too funny for your players’ liking? Let’s hope they don’t ‘terrier’ their hair out over it! 😊
1. What dog breed sounds like you’re having an awful time at a wildlife park?
2. What dog breed could be confused with a permanent marker?
3. Which dog did Darwin sail around the Galapagos?
4. What type of voice do you get the morning after smoking fifty cigarettes?
5. Which dog owns Greenland?
6. In which dog could you drive around the US?
7. Which dog was almost the tall guy in the Addams Family?
8. Which dog would have felt at home tinkering to get more juice out of the engines of the Starship Enterprise?
9. What dog is almost a chocolate boasting the tagline ‘The lighter way to enjoy chocolate’?
10. What dog breed, can have its name preceded by laser, to become a presenter’s best friend?
Read next: Our ultimate fun quiz questions and answers
Funny Dog Quiz Answers
- Shih Tzu
- Shar Pei
- (HMS) Beagle
- Great Dane
- Scottie (Scotty)
Tough Dog Trivia Questions and Answers
It’s come to the tail end of the trivia night, so it’s worth leaving them with a doozy. Yup, it might get a little ‘ruff’ but leave your contestants wanting more with these ten fiendish dog trivia questions and answers:
1. How many dogs survived the sinking of the Titanic?
2. What is the only breed of dog that doesn’t bark?
3. How many eyelids do dogs have?
4. Which US president had a favorite dog, a trusty Fox Hound, named Sweetlips?
5. Which breed of dog was originally bred to help fisherman haul in their nets and act as lifeguards?
6. Approximately how many times better is a dog’s hearing than a human’s?
7. A German Shepherd named Orient, helped its owner, Bill Irwin, a blind man to do what?
8. In 1999, Sony released a robot dog, what was its name?
9. The most expensive dog ever sold was a Tibetan Mastiff puppy, sold in 2019 in China, but how much did it sell for?
10. To the nearest inch, how tall was the tallest Great Dane ever?
Why not try out this Entertainment Trivia Quiz?
Tough Dog Trivia Answers
- George Washington
- Complete the Appalachian Trail
- $2 million
How tall? Zeus, a Great Dane hailing from Michigan, was called the world’s tallest dog back in 2012, according to Guiness World Records. His height? On four legs he was 44 inches tall and when on just two legs, he was 7 foot 4!
Our dog trivia guide given you and your contestants a new ‘leash on life’? We hope they’ve enjoyed it, and learned something new about our furry friends while taking party!
Did we miss any key questions? Anything change or wrong in what we’ve put together? Do let us know what you think by dropping us a comment below or get in touch!
Want to save this for later? Why not pin it…
Thanks for sharing the great information. I read this blog and must say the information that you shared in this blog is really very useful.
your answer to the question about the dog from “marley and me” is incorrect. Marley was NOT a golden retriever. H was a labrador retriever of the yellow variety, commonly called a “yellow lab”
Thanks for the pick up Karl. Totally right, that was meant to read Labrador Retriever!