Whether it’s that iconic moment of Mufasa holding lion cub Simba aloft in the Lion King or the opening strains of the Star Wars theme starting to thrum, there’s nothing like a blockbuster film to get us glued to our seats. But, how much does even the most ardent film buff know about monumental motion pictures? Test their knowledge with this list of 100 easy movie trivia questions and answers!
Spanning the decades between the first scenes on the silver screen and today’s Netflix movie generation, we’ve put together ten rounds of ten questions, all dedicated to famous films. So, whether you deliver it on Zoom, Skype, House Party or even live and in person through a movie pub quiz, we’ve got you covered for your movie trivia night.
Ready to get going? Grab that popcorn and let those opening credits (ahem – rounds) roll…
General Knowledge Movie Trivia Questions and Answers
From Toy Story to Titanic, how much do your contestants know about famous movies? Test it in this opening round of easy movie trivia questions and answers, all focussed on more general knowledge:
1. Which actor starred in A Fistful of Dollars, Dirty Harry, and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?
2. Which 2005 film tells the story of a lion, a hippo, a zebra and a giraffe who escape from Central Park Zoo?
3. Which instrument links characters played by Holly Hunter (1993) and Adrian Brody (2002) in films nominated for the Best Picture Oscar?
4. Which seminal 1978 musical movie was set in Rydell High School?
5. Which 1993 movie depicts a disaster at a wildlife park on the fictional Isla Nublar?
6. Scarlett O’Hara is the protagonist of which 1939 film?
7. Little Fockers is the third film in a series starring Ben Stiller and Robert DeNiro. What is the name of the first film in the series?
8. Which two actors played Don Corleone in the first two Godfather films?
9. Which festive movie from 1990 revolves around a character called Kevin McAllister?
10. Who directed Jaws, Empire of the Sun and the Indiana Jones series?
General Knowledge Movie Trivia Answers
- Clint Eastwood
- Piano (The Piano and The Pianist)
- Jurassic Park
- Gone with the Wind
- Meet the Parents
- Marlon Brando and Robert DeNiro
- Home Alone
- Stephen Spielberg
Did you know? In the Indiana Jones trilogy, Sean Connery plays Harrison Ford’s father even though there is actually only 12 years between the actors. Creator and producer George Lucas named the character Indiana after his dog.
Disney Movie Trivia Questions
Whether it’s Fantasia or Frozen, Disney has captured the hearts and minds of millions of small (and big!) kids alike. See how much your quizzers know about Mickey and the gang in this round of ten easy movie trivia questions and answers about Disney films:
1. Which was the first feature film released by Walt Disney Animation Studios in 1937?
2. Which 1940 Disney film featuring Mickey Mouse was a series of animated scenes set to classical music?
3. Which 1942 movie includes a famous scene in which the protagonist struggles to find their footing on an icy lake?
4. Pongo and Perdita are the main good characters in which 1961 Disney movie?
5. What does Arthur effortlessly remove in the title of a 1963 movie, thus proving himself the heir to Uther Pendragon’s throne?
6. Sebastian, Scuttle and Flounder are all supporting characters in which 1989 film?
7. Scott Weinger, Linda Larkin and Robin Williams were part of the cast of which 1992 Disney movie?
8. In which 1998 movie does a warrior’s daughter pretend to be a man to take her father’s place in the army?
9. Which 2010 Disney film is a retelling of the Rapunzel story?
10. In which 2016 film does the heroine have to restore the heart of Te Fiti?
Want more Disney Trivia? Why not check out this awesome Disney Quiz.
Disney Movie Trivia Round Answers
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
- 101 Dalmatians
- The Sword in the Stone
- The Little Mermaid
Action Movie Trivia Questions and Answers
There’s something almost escapist about action films: the thrill of the chase, strong main characters and an explosion (or two) to get the pulse racing. Let’s hope you have a few action aficionados in your midst, since this round is solely focused on easy trivia questions about action movies:
1. Who played Vietnam veteran John Rambo in a famous series of action films that began in 1982?
2. In which 1996 movie do the surviving people of Earth launch a counterattack against their alien invaders on July 4th?
3. Which movie franchise portrays the trials and tribulations of Sarah and John Connor?
4. In which film does the protagonist write the message “Now I have a machine gun Ho-Ho-Ho” on a dead man’s jumper?
5. Which film series has included The Last Stand, Apocalypse and Days of Future Past?
6. Who or what was responsible for three skinned corpses found hanging deep in a Central American jungle in a classic 1987 Arnie movie?
7. How were Martin Lawrence and Will Smith described in the title of a 1996 Action Comedy movie?
8. Which actor became an action hero aged 56 when he had to get his daughter back from Albanian traffickers in a 2008 movie?
9. Which film series that began in 1996 recounts the very difficult exploits of IMF agent Ethen Hunt?
10. In which film does Ryan Reynolds play Wade Wilson, an antihero on the hunt for the man who gave him mutant abilities?
Recommended next quiz: The best sports quiz questions and answers
Action Movie Trivia Answers
- Sylvester Stallone
- Independence Day
- Die Hard
- The Predator
- Bad Boys
- Liam Neeson (Taken)
- Mission Impossible
Movie Trivia Questions and Answers 2000s
Some of the best films ever made were after the turn of the millennium, when the art of filmmaking was still pure but the budgets were big. Many a blockbuster came from those first ten years after 2000, many of which we wanted to explore in this round of 10 easy movie trivia questions and answers!
1. Where in the American West do Ennis and Jack get jobs as herders in Ang Lee’s 2005 film?
2. Which character described himself as “loyal servant to the true emperor Marcus Aurelius, husband to a murdered wife, father to a murdered son” and promised to have his vengeance “in this life or the next”?
3. Julia Roberts, Bernie Mac, Don Cheadle, Andy Garcia, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon and George Clooney were all in a film together in 2001. What was it?
4. Which baby was curiously born looking like an old man according to the plot of a 2008 movie?
5. In which blockbuster was the human race trying to colonize a moon called Pandora in order to mine a mineral called “unobtanium”?
6. Who directed Inglourious Basterds and the two Kill Bill films?
7. Who played the British Prime Minister in the 2003 Richard Curtis film Love Actually?
8. Which American actress played the lead roles in Freaky Friday and Mean Girls?
9. Who starred as chilling assassin Anton Chigurh in the Coen brothers’ movie No Country for Old Men?
10. Which highly successful 2008 musical comedy was largely filmed on the Greek island of Skopelos?
We think you’ll like: 100 epic music quiz questions and answers
Movie Trivia from the 2000s Answers
- Brokeback Mountain
- Maximus (Decimus Meridius in Gladiator)
- Ocean’s Eleven
- Benjamin Button
- Quentin Tarantino
- Hugh Grant
- Lindsay Lohan
- Javier Bardem
- Mamma Mia!
Oscar Winning Actors Trivia Questions
Ah… the Academy Awards. There is no greater accolade in the movie biz than scooping up one of those coveted golden statues. With that in mind, let’s see how your quizzers do with a round entirely dedicated to the Oscars:
1. Julie Andrews’ Best Actress win came for playing the eponymous character in which musical?
2. Roberto Benigni won the Best Actor gong for which foreign language movie in 1998?
3. Jodie Foster’s second Academy Award for Best Actress came for playing Clarice Starling in which film?
4. Rami Malek’s Academy Award win in 2018 was for his portrayal of which singer?
5. Which actress won an Oscar for playing the lead role in psychological ballet drama Black Swan?
6. Which actress has been nominated the most times in the best actress category, winning for Sophie’s Choice and The Iron Lady?
7. Who won the Best Actor Oscar twice in a row in 1993 and 1994?
8. For which film did Emma Stone win the gong in 2016, opposite Ryan Gosling?
9. Which actor won the 1975 Best Actor Oscar for playing the lead in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest?
10. What happened seven times in the twentieth century, first with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert for It Happened One Night?
Why not try out this Entertainment Trivia Quiz?
Oscar Winning Actors Trivia Round Answers
- Mary Poppins
- Life is Beautiful (La Vita è Bella)
- The Silence of the Lambs
- Freddie Mercury
- Natalie Portman
- Meryl Streep
- Tom Hanks (Forrest Gump and Philadelphia)
- La La Land
- Jack Nicholson
- Best Actor and Best Actress winners from the same film
What were the others? The other six films to achieve this distinction are One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975), Network (1976), Coming Home (1978), On Golden Pond (1981), The Silence of the Lambs (1991) and As Good As It Gets (1997). And Jack Nicholson won in two of those instances (1975 & 1997).
Movie Taglines Trivia Questions and Answers
Now this round might be a head-scratcher and perhaps not as easy as the rounds before. While many people can identify a movie by it’s poster, it’s cast or it’s theme song, how many can guess it just by the tagline? Well, you’re soon to find out!
1. Which 1979 action movie had the tagline “In Space, nobody can hear you scream“?
2. Which 2010 movie was promoted with “You don’t get to 500 million friends without making a few enemies“?
3. Which shark film had the tagline “Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water“?
4. “For Harry and Lloyd, every day is a no brainer” was the tagline for which 90s comedy?
5. Which British film was billed as “A romantic comedy, with zombies“
6. Which classic thriller had the tagline “Check in. Unpack. Relax. Take a shower.”
7. “He is afraid, he is alone, he is 3 million light years from home” was the promotion line from which famous movie?
8. Which cult 80s comedy had the tagline “One man’s struggle to take it easy“?
9. If there is something peculiar in your local environs, “Who ya gonna call?”
10. Which Jim Carrey movie was promoted with the line “On the Air. Unaware.”
Want more questions? 100 great food trivia questions and answers
Movie Taglines Trivia Answers
- The Social Network
- Jaws 2 (definitely not Jaws)
- Dumb and Dumber
- Shaun of the Dead
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
- The Truman Show
Name the Tom Hanks Movie Trivia Questions and Answers
Did you know that Tom Hanks was only the second actor in history (after Spencer Tracy) to earn back-to-back Best Actor Oscars? He won it in 1993 for Philadelphia and, just a year later, for Forrest Gump. Now, there’s no rhyme or reason to it, but we thought it could be a fun quiz round to focus all ten questions on Tom.
1. Tom Hanks plays a Vietnam veteran, two-time All-American sportsman and successful seafood entrepreneur who exposes the Watergate scandal and inspires Elvis Presley’s dance moves.
2. In a real-life story, Tom Hanks is a newspaper editor who has to decide whether to publish shocking revelations about the Vietnam War.
3. Tom Hanks plays Walt Disney, trying to persuade the author of Mary Poppins to let him turn her books into film.
4. Tom Hanks leads an expedition in occupied France to try and bring back a soldier whose three brothers have all been killed.
5. Tom Hanks falls in love with a beautiful mermaid.
6. Tom Hanks plays a boy who finds himself in a man’s body.
7. Tom Hanks agrees to offer himself as a human sacrifice on the Pacific island of Waponi Woo.
8. Tom Hanks plays an alcoholic ex-baseball player who coaches a women’s team called the Peaches.
9. Tom Hanks plays Professor Robert Langdon, who appears to be implicated in a murder at the Louvre.
10. Tom Hanks plays an astronaut whose spacecraft suffers an explosion, depriving it of most of its oxygen.
Why not try out some of these Animal Quiz Questions…?
Name the Tom Hanks Movie Trivia Answers
- Forrest Gump
- The Post
- Saving Mr Banks
- Saving Private Ryan
- Joe vs the Volcano
- A League of Their Own
- The Da Vinci Code
- Apollo 13
Movie Quotes Trivia Questions
Earlier it was taglines, then it was Tom Hanks. In this round? It’s quotable quotes! Ask your contestants to name the film by giving them the year of release and the first name of the character speaking.
1. Which film from 1994 has the famous line “Zed’s dead, baby. Zed’s dead.” by one of the leading characters, Bruce?
2. The lines by the character Brody of “You’re going to need a bigger boat”, was from which 1975 film?
3. Bill apparently said “I love the smell of napalm in the morning” but in which 1979 war movie did this line become famous?
4. Rhett said “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn” in which 1939 classic?
5. In which 1997 film did Jack shout the words “I’m the king of the world!”?
6. Michael believed that you should “Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer” in which 1974 film?
7. In which 1989 film did John exclaim “Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary”?
8. In what film, released in 2008 was the line “May the odds be ever in your favour” uttered by Effy?
9. Nathan shouted in court that “You can’t handle the truth!” in which 1992 movie?
10. A very sad moment as Chuck screamed “WILSON!!!” is a famous line from which movie from 2000?
Think your quizzers will know their arts and literature, test them with this Arts & Literature Trivia…
Movie Quotes Trivia Answers
- Pulp Fiction
- Apocalypse Now
- Gone with the Wind
- The Godfather Part II
- Dead Poets’ Society
- The Hunger Games
- A Few Good Men
Did you know? Castaway was made in two blocks. Production halted for a year so that Tom Hanks could lose weight and grow a long beard before the island scenes!
Famous Movie Songs Trivia Questions
Who hasn’t had a Hans Zimmer song stuck in their head, or an ear-worm from an 80’s film warbling away? Mix it up with a movie music round – you could even play the tunes in question from your Spotify or Apple Music playlist, just to give your harried quizzers a hint or two:
1. Which Tom Cruise film featured Take My Breath Away and Highway to the Dangerzone on its iconic soundtrack?
2. Edelweiss, I am Sixteen going on Seventeen and Climb Every Mountain featured in which sixties musical film?
3. Which Tarantino film contains a famous torture scene to the sound of Stuck in the Middle with you by Stealers Wheel?
4. I Will Always Love You was one of the bestselling number ones of the nineties thanks to which film?
5. A piece of music called Dueling Banjos plays in a famous scene from which 1972 thriller starring Burt Reynolds?
6. A cover version of Lady Marmalade by Pink, Missy Elliot, Maya, Lil Kim and Christina Aguilera was on the soundtrack to which 2001 film?
7. (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life was the standout song from which 1987 soundtrack?
8. Pharrell William’s smash hit Happy was first released as part of the soundtrack to which children’s film sequel?
9. 90s bands such as Pulp and Sleeper performed on the soundtrack for which modern classic British film that also features the songs Lust for Life and Born Slippy.
10. Judy Garland’s Somewhere Over the Rainbow was written for which 1939 movie?
Read next: Our ultimate fun quiz questions and answers
Famous Movie Songs Trivia Answers
- Top Gun
- The Sound of Music
- Reservoir Dogs
- The Bodyguard
- Moulin Rouge
- Dirty Dancing
- Despicable Me 2
- The Wizard of Oz
Horror Movies Trivia Questions and Answers
As you’ve come to the last and final round, it’s time to get gruesome. It’s an entire round all about the darker side of filmmaking: horror films! Finish your trivia night with some general movie trivia all about horror films. If you dare…
1. Which iconic character, the spirit of a serial killer, was first portrayed in A Nightmare on Elm Street by Robert Englund?
2. In which film do Gregory Peck and Lee Remick raise a child called Damien who turns out to be the antichrist?
3. Which low budget 1999 horror film about some documentary makers hiking in the woods grossed nearly $250 million dollars worldwide?
4. Who played the beleaguered Sidney Prescott in the Scream films?
5. Which Jamie Lee Curtis horror classic was released in late October 1978?
6. On what date are a group of teens trying to reopen an abandoned summer camp murdered by Jason Voorhees’ mother in a famous 1980 slasher movie?
7. What reversed word does Danny chant over and over in the Shining? Backwards it sounds like a famous horse and forwards, as his mother eventually notices in the bathroom mirror, it spells a crime.
8. Complete the titles of this horror trilogy that began in the 90s: I know…; I still know…; I’ll always know…
9. What sort of animals begin attacking the residents of Bodega Bay, California in a 1963 Hitchcock classic?
10. In which seminal horror movie do two priests try to remove a demon who has possessed a girl called Regan?
Next Trivia Round: Here are some of the best Science Quiz Questions.
Horror Movies Trivia Answers
- Freddy Krueger
- The Omen
- The Blair Witch Project
- Neve Campbell
- Friday 13th
- Murder (redrum)
- What you did last summer
- The Birds
- The Exorcist
Creepy!! Paul Bateson, who appears in one of the film’s most famous scenes as a radiologist’s assistant, was a real-life convicted murderer and suspected serial killer.
So, how did your contestants do with our easy movie quiz questions and answers? Do you need to send them back to the cinema, to get their film fix?
We hope you loved this foray into film trivia as much as we enjoyed researching and putting it together. And, if you didn’t (or just have a lovely comment or quiz question to leave us), do get in touch!
Want to save this for later? Why not pin it…